BEST A.P.U.

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by FREEBRD, Feb 5, 2010.

1. TriPac Dude

TriPac Dude Light Load Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Joplin Missouri
    I've heard very bad reviews of hp2000 and Dynasys on apu reviews. My solution? Get a TriPac- it'll never let you down!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Gentlemanfarmer

Gentlemanfarmer Medium Load Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Greenville, FL
    After my first truck blew the engine in May 2013, I traded in the carcass for a new truck and let Volvo keep the APU. I agree, the HP 2000 never performed at well as I thought, even though I had to have it reinstalled at the factory about a year after my purchase. It was noisy, and never kept the truck cool enough. I still haven't installed an APU on my new truck two years after purchase. I just put a 3000 watt portable generator and am looking for a portable AC. More affordable, less noise and hopefully more comfortable in the long run.

izifaddag Thanks this.
  4. KB3MMX

KB3MMX Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2014
    Orrstown, PA
    I wish Cummins Onan had a diesel electric system like carrier. I think the 2cyl diesels are simply obnoxious.

The 3cyl Kubota is strangely a different beast, very quiet and smooth comparatively.

The Onan Quiet Diesel gensets are half the noise or less than ANY trucking APU I've heard so far.

If they could use their genset to power a electric AC and heat system it would be a great combo.

I had over 10,000+ hrs on a Onan 7.5 QuietDiesel when I sold the last truck and it never missed a beat. Even with 250hr intervals with Amsoil 15W-40 , against the recommended 100hr recommendation.

TruckerDaisy and icsheeple Thank this.
  5. icsheeple

icsheeple Trailing the Herd

Nov 1, 2013
    Kansas City, KS
    Anyone had any experience with Green APU?

http://greenapu.com/

I like that they are using generic auto parts that are readily available. I don't like shared coolant system. Kinda scary to share my comfort makers coolant with my money makers coolant. I would prefer a yanmar motor over cat from my observations and research, but its not a deal breaker. And from what I could gather I don't think there is a generator, just an alternator like the TK setup?

I also hate how these company websites are so cryptic. Took me a second to find the specs page. But still can't find a price. I guess I'll call the APU center, but I'd love to hear about anyone's experience with them.

I was impressed with the dynasys at first, then the massive recall made me a little hesitant.

6. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    I'm hearing that California is getting into the APU emissions regulating game now. I will stick with the small generator solution for now. It will be ironic when CARB Cops go out and write tickets for running APUs and allow the drivers to fire up the big truck engine-- we will have come full circle in the Universe

7. EHB

EHB Medium Load Member

Apr 26, 2011
    Newfoundland
    Any new info on APU's in 2016 I wonder???

8. Stew209

Stew209 Medium Load Member

Mar 28, 2014
    Out in the Sticks
    The ThermoKing Tri-pac Evolution is really nice.

9. Flclass

Flclass Bobtail Member

Apr 8, 2016
    Battery operated units have come a long way. Our Road Chill system runs quietly all night then recharges the next day off the trucks alternator. It has an 8 year battery like they run in hybrid cars so it doesn't require any fuel at all and the whole thing is covered for 5 years with my extended warranty.

10. nonsense007

nonsense007 Light Load Member

Apr 10, 2016
    Reidland, Kentucky

I bought a Thermo King from the APU center, and it works good for heating and cooling, just had problems with it monitoring my batteries, it was suppose to come on automatically when batteries had low charge, but that didn't happen, once I hear the low battery beeping noise, I have to get up and start the engine for a couple mins to charge the batteries.

Last edited: May 12, 2016
  11. nonsense007

nonsense007 Light Load Member

Apr 10, 2016
    Reidland, Kentucky
    I'm thinking about buying a Green APU, anyone know anything about them?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.