CFI is not as good a company as they think they are.

Discussion in 'Report A BAD Trucking Company Here' started by Doggnczy, Apr 28, 2019.

1. free spirited1

free spirited1 Heavy Load Member

Mar 18, 2012
    USA
    Yes it's true if your looking for apu and fridge don't come here, I been here many years they just are ANTI apu and fridge by them. I do have my own fridge, microwave, crockpot, etc but you will idle more. I've got it down to a science, but for newbies coming here think again because they'll never get them. They'll tell you the old story of how years ago they had 50 of them in a trial mode, and they just didn't work out, drivers idled, didn't cool enough etc...same old bs story.... yet Prime right up the road from us doesn't seem to have that complaint. Maintain them and use them right and you won't get hardly any complaints. I been here for many years to

Corn-Fed and GrumpyJoe Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. GrumpyJoe

GrumpyJoe Light Load Member

Oct 8, 2019
    Well I start orientation Monday in Joplin. Look for Grumpy Joe maybe we will meet up sometime. Until then I will try my best to keep the wheels turning.

Lonesome and Corn-Fed Thank this.
  4. Corn-Fed

Corn-Fed Light Load Member

Dec 24, 2016
    Big Clifty, Ky
    For what its worth I work for CFI currently. I started here a few months ago and am new to driving so take what i say with a healthy dose of salt. To me CFI is a good company and i thoroughly enjoy working here. Ive made 2,900 miles this week which is really good. That said the past couple weeks have been less than perfect low miles, but thats what happens when there's a holiday and the shipper is closed or you have a brake chamber spring a good leak and loves "mechanics" take half a day to change it after sitting all night because they weren't able to get to it.

However I have a good manager and the dispatchers seem ok. If i have a problem they resolve it quickly. Whenever ive had a maintenance problem (tires) they quickly contact roadside to fix it.

Pay can leave a bit to be desired ive been out for 6 weeks and am delivering in the morning then headed home. Im hoping that if i continue running 6 weeks at a time dispatch will utilize me and keep me rolling.

Home time so far hasn't been a problem request home time 8 days in advance so they have time to route you home and youre golden. For example they tried to send me on another run i called in and flat out said nope i requested to be home and thats where im going. I think it was a minor mistake on their part because they immediately rectified it.

Pet policy is new to me as i haven't had my dog on the truck yet. But in short no breed restrictions one pet per "person" on the truck. Thats how cfi phrases it so you and a passenger could have a total of 2 pets on the truck. Thats intentional and isnt a loop hole they will bring it up in orientation.
    Fridges i cant see why they wont put them in the truck form the factory my solution to that was to put a koolatron kooler in the fridge cabinet and a rachet strap to hold it in place. Another driver here told me he puts a mini fridge on the table and strapped it in so there are work around solutions.

I can't understand CFI's policy on no apu it doesn't make sense to me blah blah blah bs. That said ive never been uncomfortable in my truck i live on a farm most of my vehicles dont have ac so windows down sitting still is fine. The trucks have a outside temp gauge built into the drivers mirror. If it is above 65 in the gauge the truck will run non stop and if youre sitting still the heat off the motor will raise the temp just a little higher. So ac works when ever i need it to im perfectly comfortable anytime. We have espar bunk heaters which work well as far as i have seen. The truck will run below 35 and they ask that you keep it running below 20. Obviously thats 30 degree difference there are a coupleof tricks to keep the truck running during the off time but there common knowledge by most folks.

Trucks have 1500w inverters installed under the bunk easy access from drivers side box or raising the bunk unfortunately theres no on off switch for the inverter in the cab. Only time i use it is for the microwave. I bought a 175w plug in inverter for my tv and dvd player. So i dont have to idle unless i want to and so i dont have to deal with turning on the big inverter.
    @GrumpyJoe if you have any questions feel free to ask. Private message or reply in the thread. If youre looking me and my 3 months experience is reasy for another student. Im joking i wouldn't consider training when i know im still learning myself big time. But if you need a trainer id recommend my trainer to you pm me if intrested. I wish you luck and enjoy the ride. Hopefully welcome to the Certified Fn Idiots trucking company.

Need4Speed, Lonesome and GrumpyJoe Thank this.
  5. bigblue19

bigblue19 Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Midland WA
    Out 6 weeks?
    CFI ranks 77th in pay out of the top 100 at $52,400 per yr avg
    Do you want to know how many outfits that hire 1yr or less drivers that pay better?
    Now as a new driver you can expect to make $41K your 1st yr> My 1st yr in 1991 I made the equivalent of $ 50,880 in todays money. So a veteran driver at CFI can expect to make around what, $1500 more then I did as a newbie in 91?
    The state of OTR these days is insert expletive. More rules, more wasted time, more traffic, less parking, less pay yet people will still come on here & say this -CFI is a good company and i thoroughly enjoy working here.
    There are no good general frt OTR companies, only degrees of bad. And anyone off the street can educate themselves on the state of the industry & how to make the most for your time on the road even as a new driver. Or you can sell yourself short & just fill out a internet application & sit around for a few minutes waiting for the phone to ring so you can sign on with #77

Last edited: Jun 14, 2020
    nredfor88, DoubleO7, JForce28 and 3 others Thank this.
  6. Corn-Fed

Corn-Fed Light Load Member

Dec 24, 2016
    Big Clifty, Ky
    I will agree you with you as i said the pay is lacking but for some reason or another every one of our drivers say they dont plan on going anywhere else. They like it here. Im here for at least another 9 months get a year in and i may reconsider things then but for now i stand behind what i said and i myself dont plan on going anywhere else atleast until I have a years experience.

Need4Speed and GrumpyJoe Thank this.
  7. Lonesome

Lonesome Mr. Sarcasm

Dec 15, 2007
    Northern Indiana
    Well, pay is important, that's a given. But not everyone has to make top pay. Some companies are just a better fit for someone than another company. UPS pays very well. But with all their nit pick rules and regulations, I would never work there. If @Brad-Ford is happy at CFI, more power to him.

8. GrumpyJoe

GrumpyJoe Light Load Member

Oct 8, 2019

I looked real close when I made my choices. Many promised higher pay buy the equipment or available miles lacked. When I compare salaries most all new CDL grads start under 30cpm and within 3 to 5 years max at 45cpm going solo.

If I am wrong it is only because I could not find what you did. Could you share the link? I am sure Chinatown would like it too. Pay is more subjective and relies on more than just a promise. Available trailers, solid contracts, dispatchers and load managers that work well with the drivers and finally the size of the company. If they do not have the reserves to weather the storm those at the bottom lose.

I am OK with my choice for now. This does not mean I will stay if treated poorly. I am in this for the money only. My commitment is to keep the wheels turning and represent the company well so the contracts stay profitable.

Dale thompson, Lonesome and Corn-Fed Thank this.
  9. JForce28

JForce28 Light Load Member

Oct 18, 2019
    How accurate is that list though? They have Western Express #8 in pay. That was a head scratcher for me.

free spirited1, DoubleO7 and GrumpyJoe Thank this.
  10. DoubleO7

DoubleO7 Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    A private fleet is a different deal. Their revenue does not come from the overly competitive freight market.

11. Mr. TruckLoad

Mr. TruckLoad Light Load Member

Feb 3, 2020
    ScottsDale, Arizona

I grew up with dogs/Shepards and they were where they belonged, outside in the back or front yard, not in my house, for those that want dogs as companions understood, but it should be in your own truck considering that in a company truck another company driver will come in behind you, I've turned down more than one truck because of the "Fur Balls", even if taken to a professional detailar they will will tell you that it's virtually impossible to get rid of all the dog hairs. Let's not even get started on the parasites that animals carry in addition to ticks and fleas, setting off a fogger fumigator is never a bad idea when entering a truck that was previously occupied by a pet owner, a good idea period in that you don't know how long the shop might have let the truck sit empty with the windows down, you could be asleep and very well find yourself with a giant venomous spider in the bunk with you !

. . . . . . . as for being assigned a dirty truck is part of the game, I wholeheartedly disagree, a Driver should be assigned a "Clean Truck" !, shows respect for the Driver, consider that an indicator of how Management feels about you, simply refuse it or request a comcheck to have the truck detailed by a professional, if all else fails have the cab detailed out of your pocket, normally $150 to $250 depending on your area of the country, then try and get reimbursed for it after about two weeks of runs, after having established a relationship with your Company or Driver Manager. If you don't have the funds to pay for it yourself and need the job, then it's time to hit the nearest Dollar Store and buy a bucket, broom, mop, gloves, sponge and cleaning supplies and get busy yourself, I've done it more times than I care to mention and I'm sure I have not seen my last time, it's about your comfort level and also gives some solace in knowing that you will be leaving it clean for your next Driver Brother/Sister ! , save your receipts and also try to get reimbursed for the cleaning supplies, mention to your Company/Driver Manager you cleaned the truck, they normally show some type of appreciation for that if nothing else but keeping you from sitting as long as the next driver, sometimes companies just don't have the extra funds or manpower to have it done, as for a new mattress, we all like to have them, if not, buy a memory foam top from Walmart with a plastic mattress cover, first fog the cab with a fogger, then disinfect the mattress with an aerosol spray, then place the foam on top and enclose it and the mattress with the plastic mattress cover all from Wal-Mart pretty inexpensive if you don't have an extra $100 bucks to purchase the MainStays spring coil mattress in a box yourself from Wal-Mart !, and again save your receipts to "Try" and get reimbursed, emphasizing on try, not guaranteed !, Same would apply to an apartment, who wants to live in a HAZMAT ?

Last edited: Jun 20, 2020
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.