Do Truckers Ever Give Notice? Need a resume?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by downplay, Apr 7, 2024.

1. downplay

downplay Light Load Member

Sep 6, 2021
    Trucking is one of the few job areas where I didn’t need a resume, fill out a job history, etc.

Are resumes ever used in trucking? Do people ever give 2 weeks notice?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    I always gave notice. Some people don't. Years ago it was considered bad form not to. Anymore I don't think it really matters. They'll cut your job without a second thought and no notice at all if circumstances dictate. As long as you park their truck on their yard when you leave and the truck's not trashed you should be fine with no notice. Don't abandon it halfway across that country, that aint cool. As far as resume they'll call your previous employers to verify your work history so basically all you have to do is list your previous 10 years of employers and they will contact them. Good luck!

4. Jamie01

Jamie01 Light Load Member

Dec 13, 2020
    When I was ready to move on from my first job, I asked my supervisor if me giving him three weeks' notice would make his life easier. He said it would, so I did. It seemed like the right thing to do.

5. Lonesome

Lonesome Mr. Sarcasm

Dec 15, 2007
    Northern Indiana
    Most times I do. That's who I am.

6. Judge

Judge Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Arkansas
    i tried once, was told “Don’t need your ###### notice, get your #### out my truck!”

Now my notice “I’m done.”

7. RockinChair

RockinChair Road Train Member

Feb 19, 2012
    CC, TX
    I have always given notice.
    The regs require you to fill out a 10 year job history. As far as giving notice, that's something I have always done but a lot of times they told me just go ahead and clean out the truck.

8. downplay

downplay Light Load Member

Sep 6, 2021
    Now that you mention it, I remember filling out the job history online. But, I definitely didn’t create or update a resume.

9. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    Nobody wants to see a driver resume. Your work history will speak for itself.

10. Bud A.

Bud A. Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Mountain Time
    When I left my first trucking job, I had been warned by others not to give notice since that company always withheld the last two weeks of pay for six to eight weeks to "cover any damage to the truck." When I told them I was done with no notice, my dispatcher was really, really pissed and marked me as "not rehireable." Like I cared.

I have provided notice at all the other companies I left, and left on good terms. One even called me a year after I left to offer more money and more home time.

I do keep a sort of resume for myself as a reference for filling out job apps. It helps keep track of start and end dates, supervisor names, awards, freight hauled, etc. in case I need to remember it in the future.

11. Tall Mike

Tall Mike Road Train Member

Aug 20, 2014
    New York
    Depends on my mood at the time I decide to make a job change. Do they owe me money, has there been any shortages in my pay ? What's the work culture been like ? Lots of factors here.

Giving notice is a courtesy not a requirement.

I have given notice and not given notice.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2024
    Lonesome, Rugerfan, Numb and 2 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.