Do you OTR reefer guys really make a good living?

Discussion in 'Refrigerated Trucking Forum' started by Rockdoctor, Nov 20, 2018.

1. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    I was never a owner-operator, but did pull reefers for 18 years and liked it. I liked running at night and tight schedules; not everyone can deal with that. The Elogs made time management challenging, but I could still, usually, do mostly night runs.
    OGT- Las Vegas

laaylor and Shaggy Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. towmantater

towmantater Light Load Member

Nov 9, 2018
    I've never done refers but good friend of mine and her husband do team driving o/o they make pretty decent money. Their kids grown and gone, so they spend as much time on the road as they can. I look forward to their Christmas gift every year. Last year I got a Henry repeating rifle out of it.

4. Metallica88

Metallica88 Medium Load Member

Nov 27, 2017
    Can you name any decent reefer companies? I'm looking for a new gig.

5. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    FROCK BROS. TRUCKING, INC. @Metallica88
    PO Box 157, New Oxford, PA
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    • 23 years old / 6 months minimum experience
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    [​IMG]

Metallica88 Thanks this.
  6. Dna Mach

Dna Mach Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Texas
    I killed myself a decade ago bringing home $1,000 dollars a week pulling a reefer. This was on paper logs. There’s no flipping way I’ll ever pull another van or reefer with an E log. I’ve pulled tanks ever since and would never consider another commodity. Life’s to short to let a miserable people dictate your time and money.

7. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    FFE in the 2000-2001 year had us regularly on a perishable run between the LA Office yard and the Avenel NJ one. Those are usually just under 67 hours more or less. 65 usually one way. Back to LA as a team in a similar amount within 6 days flat. The money took care of itself on those runs. We were pretty reliable on that run. We were however governed at 63. They leaned towards what they called the Presidents Fleet governed at 70+ to gain a little more time transferring trailer loads between both coasts. (Essentially the band of so called favorites who have a bunch of miles and so on) There were times dispatch would have us 7 minutes on time and wondered if we would be late to LA. (We were there within 4 minutes to the good, which is something that cannot be replicated again without a ungoverned truck which was the difference between hitting all lights green on US1 in Jersey. One or two red lights waiting would have destroyed that schedule.

8. Metallica88

Metallica88 Medium Load Member

Nov 27, 2017
    Great looking tractor with a big sleeper. These guys are worth a look. Has anybody heard of Team Biondi?

9. SteerTire

SteerTire Road Train Member

Nov 5, 2018
    Behind the wheel
    I asked that same question of a guy this week. Regional manager for Lexus, making $250k a year. Just started driving a truck.

He had no real answer. So I called BS. He wasn’t happy lol

Rockdoctor and x1Heavy Thank this.
  10. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    250K manager for Lexus traveling to fix it staff?

And went to trucking? Something is not right. If I was big pooh bear raking in 250K waiting for needy underlinks to call me to fix their life lower down in the leadership tree I would not be driving no truck.

Excepting my own coach.

laaylor and SteerTire Thank this.
  11. SteerTire

SteerTire Road Train Member

Nov 5, 2018
    Behind the wheel
    He was a younger guy. And pretty much full of ####. I’m guessing he fits right in with all these Doctors, financial planners, therapist, and Lawyers we talk to at the truck stops ;)

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.