Do you turn off reefer right as you dock ?

Discussion in 'Refrigerated Trucking Forum' started by Greggg, Mar 20, 2019.

1. 062

062 Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2013
    I do ltl frozen and unload myself. One thing I’ve learned is to hit the defrost button before opening the doors if the humidity is over 50%. When that humid air hits the floor it’ll frost over in seconds.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Greggg

Greggg Light Load Member

Jun 30, 2018
    Yeah actually I forgot I had posted this thread after reading a carrier unit manual.

“Allow.me” actually remind me lol..

On their manual it says that unit has to be off when the doors are open. Or their words are actually unit should be turned off before opening the doors.

They recommend for people who are going to open their doors a lot to run their unit on continuous but still to turn off unit before opening the doors.

Another thing they recommend is to hit manual defrost when you are pre cooling your unit before loading.

landlord and magoo68 Thank this.
  4. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    I had a dock worker come out to my trailer a couple weeks ago to record the temperature after I had been sitting at the dock to deliver with the doors open for nearly an hour with the reefer running. He complained that the temp was too warm, and I said that's because you put me here doors open an hour ago. Get me unloaded and there shouldn't be a problem.

5. Greggg

Greggg Light Load Member

Jun 30, 2018
    Personally what I’ve been doing is just back up to dock with doors closed when they tell me to back up to docks with doors open. To keep cold in. When they are actually, which is sometimes way later, they knock on my door tell me to pull forward and open my doors, I shut my reefer, open doors and back up to dock.

6. DSJETT

DSJETT Bobtail Member

Mar 31, 2013
    Everyone who said leave it running and let the receiver tell you when to shut it off is CORRECT..... WALMART has told me to open the doors and shut it off with a load of ice cream in the summer time.... but they also said what someone said on this thread,..the box heats up quicker with the unit on sucking outside heat Into the back of the trailer..... FOLLOW THE RECEIVERS INSTRUCTIONS.....1 gallons of reefer fuel ain't worth the possible claim.

LoSt_AgAiN Thanks this.
  7. hotrod1653

hotrod1653 Road Train Member

Aug 29, 2009
    Somewhere in America
    I always follow the receiver instructions as to reefer rules.

8. Omega1

Omega1 Heavy Load Member

Nov 18, 2017
    Oregon
    I always leave mine running until I am certain that I am empty or specifically told by receiver to shut it off. If told to shut it off, I take a very quick temperature reading before shutting it off and document it. Just covering my behind.

9. Farmerbob1

Farmerbob1 Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2017
    I leave the reefer running unless told to turn it off by the receiver.

10. alex6999

alex6999 Light Load Member

Sep 19, 2009
    Toronto, ON
    Reefer with door sensor can be configured to stay in low rpm when doors open. This best solution

landlord and magoo68 Thank this.
  11. Mark Falcone

Mark Falcone Light Load Member

Jun 15, 2013
    Bronx, NY
    I do. Once I'm docked I'm not wasting any more reefer fuel...

jason6541 and landlord Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.