Essential Information for New Drivers

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Admin, Jan 14, 2015.

1. Cooper95b

Cooper95b Bobtail Member

Jul 31, 2018
    Dubuque, Iowa
    I will be retiring in Dubuque, Iowa. I have signed my GI bill over to my daughter for college so I was thinking of going the company school route. I know there’s a risk there but it’s only a year. I’ve had a few crappy 3 year units in my 20+ years and have found each experience is what you make it. One thing I do know is I can’t have an office 9-5 job when I retire from the service. I like the thought of doing a few years of the cross country driving to get experience and see the country side.

Thanks again in advance!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Farmerbob1

Farmerbob1 Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2017
    @Chinatown you got any ideas for companies in or around Dubuque, Iowa for an armed services veteran looking to get into trucking? He has signed his GI bill benefits over to his daughter.

Cooper95b Thanks this.
  4. Highrollers

Highrollers Bobtail Member

Jun 8, 2018
    1. Dont turn down a road youre no sure of.
    2 get proficient at backing asap practise at a big truck Stop in daytime
    3. Dont go into a city at night except to deliver at appointment time
    4 any vibration needs to be looked at
    5 being too good can get you killed also. Make sure you dont assume a mountain is clear or winding road. Other drivers may have wrecked ahead.
    6. Inspect the truck
    7. Practise good driver behavior
    8 dont spend money on the trinkets in truck stops. You aint making a great living. Do fool yourself. Trucking is a poor mans sport
    Prepare to not have a life or be a father to your kids and husband to your wife unless you work locally.
    9 tankers pay more
    10 you can do ok at ltl companies

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  5. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    11: keep your hands and goodies off the people on 95, 85 and 75 up and down the east coast. You can contract STD's that in some cases will be life threatening to you and ruin your ability not to be sick and rolling on.

Farmerbob1 and Highrollers Thank this.
  6. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    11a. There's a new "Trucker STD" going around that causes Flesh Eating Bacteria.

7. jamesk02

jamesk02 Bobtail Member

Sep 10, 2018
    Georgia
    I’m 15 now and I want to be a driver after high school. I would prefer to be home weekends to work on college and stuff like that. How do you guys think the industry will be in about 2025 or so?

Rollr4872 Thanks this.
  8. Farmerbob1

Jan 17, 2017
    Starting a trucking career without needing to spend at least 6 to 8 months as an OTR driver is possible, but you will need to work to find that job, and be #### sure to keep your driving record clean.

You will not be able to drive OTR until you are 21, I think. You might find an in-state job before that though, but again, you will need to look hard for it, and be an attractive employee option for a company with lots of people looking to be hired.

Make trucker friends. You will likely need them to weasel into a job like what you describe.

Rollr4872 Thanks this.
  9. jamesk02

jamesk02 Bobtail Member

Sep 10, 2018
    Georgia
    Thanks. My dad was a trucker for 20 something years and in the military too. He just went back to a government job from hauling bridge beams a few years ago and I’ve been with him a few times in the truck. Pretty fun to me.

10. jamesk02

jamesk02 Bobtail Member

Sep 10, 2018
    Georgia
    Would It be legal to drive with some else in the truck as soon as I started?(not a trainer) Not company rules, government rules?

11. Farmerbob1

Jan 17, 2017
    As far as I know, as long as you have legal seatbelts for passengers, the government doesn't care how many people are in a truck. Companies make that call.

jamesk02 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.