Experience with your LTL company

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by ACH1130, Sep 23, 2012.

1. ACH1130

ACH1130 Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2011
    Land of far far away,
    thats my biggest pet peeve with YRC line-haul. We dont use the same truck everyday so everyone just beats on them because they think they wont use it again. If we go to another bulk brek center we have to swap out... When we go to a satelite terminal we use the same truck to go back home with, or if needed we may have to swa for a twin screw. The City drivers get the same city unit every day. When I was doing the city I got the shop stewards old truck when he trasferred, he took care of it which I continued to do. The first time I was on layoff the guy who used it pretty much beat the snot out of it until I came back. Now that I transferred they guy who has it now has beaten the snot out of it bad... DOnt know why people think just because its not yours doesnt mean treat it like its not...

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. road_runner

road_runner Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2012
    Montucky
    Problem with union / nonunion discussion is that it always ends up in an argument. Doesn't matter if it is online or at the terminal. I stay away from it. You ever come up through Billings? Guessing you are a Denver driver?

4. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    Ithink brandonpdx nailed most of the local driver questions, we run team line haul, top out at .64 CPM, probably start at 60cpm depending on exp. Solo line haul tops at .55 CPM.

Paid uniform , united health med, dent, vision - 401k matched , short and long-term disability. 2 weeks vacation, 3 after 7 years, and 4 days "all purpose".

Like I said before , you have trouble telling people what they pay - they don't believe there are jobs that pay decent out here!!

Ghost Ryder Thanks this.
  5. Ghost Ryder

Ghost Ryder Road Train Member

Jan 3, 2013
    Your Mailbox
    Because people on both sides have their mind set on what the other is all about. Very rarely does a union vs non-union debate end well because of this. I have only had 2 driving jobs in 17 years of driving. One non-union and my current one is union. I'm not going to praise unions, but I will say that once you work somewhere that has a good union, you wouldn't want to work anywhere else -- and it's next to impossible to tell non-union workers the reasons why.

blairandgretchen Thanks this.
  6. road_runner

Mar 26, 2012
    Montucky
    The difference between us is I am non-union and you are union. What we both have in common is we are happy with where we work. If you are happy with where you are, then it shouldnt matter if you are union or non-union. I just drive the truck. I absolutely hate dealing with management and politics. Which is why I am happy as a clam working nights.

blairandgretchen and Ghost Ryder Thank this.
  7. cool35

cool35 Heavy Load Member

Sep 6, 2010
    Everywhere
    That's one of mine too. When I worked for Estes I had an assigned truck and it was nice. Just before they cut my run they bought me a brand new one. Life was good back then!

8. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    I think the reason Odfl ( nonunion ) pays so well is that the drivers know they can go to a Union ltl company for the same or better pay. Therefore I support unions. My reasoning is - if corporations have the right to organise, then why shouldnt workers?

ACH1130 and Ghost Ryder Thank this.
  9. Brandonpdx

Brandonpdx Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2007
    Elkhart, IN
    I don't see much correlation between union and non-union in terms of pay. The correlation I do see is that the larger companies do tend to pay better. They can afford to.

road_runner Thanks this.
  10. road_runner

Mar 26, 2012
    Montucky
    The fact that we have daily home time plus better pay than some of our OTR counterparts makes wonder why we get paid so much. I guess they make enough profits to make some of it go around. How the hell otr guys put up with 22-31 CPM is beyond me. They are getting seriously shafted.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2013
  11. Ghost Ryder

Ghost Ryder Road Train Member

Jan 3, 2013
    Your Mailbox
    In my area a union job pays around 40k more a year than a non-union. This includes health benefits. Also, not alot of non-union shops offer any kind of retirement packages. There are other reasons why I choose union over non-union, other than pay.

~ Management reprimands you over anything and everything, while letting other employees get away with murder. You can file a grievance to get your record expunged.

~ a managers pet driver wants the run you've been doing 6+ years, so they take you off it and put them on it. They can't do this at a union shop.

~ many other reasons

Because the majority of OTR drivers have no home and have no family. They take the low pay because they have no responsibilities. Little do they know that it is drivers like that who ruin the industry for others.

It's also worth noting that no student will ever make as much as a veteran within their first few years. This holds true for any industry. Not just trucking. The day students start off with 70+k a year is the day I turn in my keys.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2013
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.