Failed physical today. Blood pressure reading 258/123. What now?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Trucks66, Aug 31, 2020.

1. Trucks66

Trucks66 Light Load Member

Nov 3, 2017
    I don't understand...... I am in fairly decent shape at 32 years old and 5'11 160lbs. A couple of years ago when I went to take my physical, my blood pressure was at 125/80 which was the last time I ever had it checked.

I passed everything, but when it was time to take my blood pressure,the doctor was saying that the number couldn't be right, so she used another cuff and it gave the exact same reading.

She issued me a 3 month card and said I need to get it under control. She told me that I need to stay out of the truck for a year as sitting in a seat all day driving is not good for people and focus on getting it under control. I can't really do that though, because I need the money.

Anyone run into this problem before?

Last edited: Aug 31, 2020
    joey8686 and NightWind Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    She's incompetent, telling you to stay out of the truck for a few months. All that would do is make your blood pressure even worse due to stress of being unemployed.
    Get advice from your family physician.

4. zaroba

zaroba Heavy Load Member

Aug 28, 2012
    South East PA
    I've always asked for them to retake my blood pressure at the end of the exam if it was high at the start, always been lower/normal at the end. Could call it nervousness due to visiting a doctor's office but at the end of the exam you'll be more relaxed and likely have a lower blood pressure.

You could also go to a different place and try again, don't mention the 3 month card in the questionnaire before the exam. Your new med cert will override the old one.

5. Roberts450

Roberts450 Road Train Member

Feb 6, 2016
    You said it was a she dr?? Maybe that was the problem and she spiked your blood pressure. ;):D:D

bzinger, D.Tibbitt, Chinatown and 4 others Thank this.
  6. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    You can go to almost any drug store and buy your own blood pressure cuff. They don't cost much and it's a good way of monitoring your bp.

7. Wasted Thyme

Wasted Thyme Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2020
    GOAT watching
    Plus lots of them have the machine right there. Test it out yourself

8. NightWind

NightWind Road Train Member

Nov 11, 2006
    Sunny South, AL
    I would be in a huge hurry to find out why it spiked so high, that's border line stroke numbers. Diet and execise are the best way to get it under control, but you need something ASAP. A stroke will put you out of the truck and perhaps end your life. Please take care of yourself. Don't try to avoid the problem or bypass it. Good luck

9. Studebaker Hawk

Studebaker Hawk Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2010
    NW Indiana
    You need a 2nd opinion, and quickly. And from a genuine physician, preferably who takes the time to really look at you.
    I have gotten all kinds of screwy readings at physicals over the years. I insist on an experienced RN or PA who will take it manually, after I have been seated and calm for at least 5 minutes, not wiggling all over the chair because I need to give them a urine sample.

bzinger, clausland and Brettj3876 Thank this.
  10. UsualSuspect

UsualSuspect Road Train Member

Aug 14, 2016
    Yo Mama's
    If it's 258/123 you need to get it under control, you are one footstep away from being in a grave. Mine uncontrolled is 224/180, so I am in the same boat. I take 2 meds everyday, have since 2002, have a 1 year card. The meds are less than $15 for 90 days, that's both, and they will keep you alive. Go see a Dr and get it taken care of.

11. mitmaks

mitmaks Road Train Member

May 16, 2014
    Drink lots of water no coffee caffeine products for several days before test.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.