Fuel price and IFTA

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by mitmaks, Jun 22, 2018.

1. mitmaks

mitmaks Road Train Member

May 16, 2014
    Lets say I drive 300 miles in GA but don't fill up as fuel is 3.15/gal
    I cross over into SC and fill up full tanks for 2.79/gal but only drive 110 miles in SC
    Should I've filled up some in GA at higher cost or filling up cheaper fuel is worth it?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    rank, deathB4decaf, NoBigHurry and 2 others Thank this.
  4. Doing_flatbed_nc

Doing_flatbed_nc Medium Load Member

Mar 3, 2016
    Not necessarily. I drive NC, SC, VA, TN, FL, MD with 48 state apportioned plates and have always received a refund after filing IFTA.

I get fuel when I need it but I tend to fill up in NC (mostly). Of course, I have fuel receipts from all those other states, but most of my fuel taxes are from NC.

Granted, I'm paying for 42 states I will never go to.

I don't know if I'm credited back for not running in those states, but I know that the last four times I've filed, I do get a refund.

I just got my plate renewed and I had to pay for 48 again. They said next time I will only be paying for the states I run in.

Watching this post to learn what to expect next year...

Edit: GA and WV too

Oldironfan Thanks this.
  5. Petty Cash

Petty Cash Light Load Member

Jan 12, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    Subtract each state's tax and then compare them.

6. Ruthless

Ruthless Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2010
    The City.

Apportioned tags and ifta are two different things.

Apportioned plates you're paying for road use as a percentage of total mikes driven.
    Ifta you're paying for fuel burned in each state, whether you purchased fuel there or not.

7. Dan47

Dan47 Light Load Member

Feb 14, 2015
    Same here. I print every quarter new tax table in two rows and stick it on my sun visor. You can save some money by fueling in right places.

rank, Oldironfan and driverdriver Thank this.
  8. driverdriver

driverdriver Road Train Member

May 30, 2011
    Always fuel at the cheapest place ( less ifta)
    Get an app like FUELBOOK which allows you to see what the actual cost of fuel is minus ifta.

rank and Oldironfan Thank this.
  9. driverdriver

driverdriver Road Train Member

May 30, 2011
    Correct , you can save a minimum of $60.00 a week just paying attention to ifta tax.

60 × 4 = 240
    Now for those of you reading this , times that 240 by how many months a year you run. 10 months a year? well that's a minimum of $ 2.400 .

Think about it for just a minute.......
    What could you do with $ 2.400 .

Oldironfan Thanks this.
  10. PolishPrince

PolishPrince Light Load Member

Jan 11, 2017
    Chicago
    I thought everything was based on fuel bought and consumed per state. If you don’t drive in a particular state all fiscal year then you have nothing to worry about for that state. Where am I confused?

11. Buckeye 60

Buckeye 60 Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2018
    Kentucky will only apply 50% of overpayment on KY miles to other states and Indiana has a total screwed up system best not fuel more than you need in KY or in ..... Oregon has a mileage tax and no fuel tax now some guys will fill up there and not turn in the receipt with the ifta but still claim it on the income tax what this does is raise your monthly fuel mileage and that will lower your overall fuel tax ... it's best to subtract the fuel tax from the pump price. the good atlases have the tax table in the front. ... new Jersey is a trap state has low fuel tax but surrounded by high tax states so there fuel seems cheaper but actual cost is higher. ..... also watch some of the bargain fuel prices at Indian Reservation as some are untaxed ( unless you don't turn it in )

Oldironfan Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.