Hauling Fresh Chicken For the First Time- Question

Discussion in 'Refrigerated Trucking Forum' started by MercuryLine, Oct 26, 2019.

1. 25(2)+2

25(2)+2 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled
    They're called combos where I haul from. Replaced alot of swinging beef using them.

There's a plant we send swinging to yet, or again, and they own the trailers for it.

I got to pull a load or 2 when the regular truck broke down. They put the trolleys in one of those gaylords when they haul them back.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 88 Alpha

88 Alpha Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 12, 2012
    SouthEast Alabama
    I haul chickens every day. For us, it's always drop and hook, as we are dedicated to the shipper. Most of the time, our loads are set on 26* and you will have "chicken juice". Avoid stepping in the juice, that stuff will stink up a cab in a heartbeat.

Occasionally, we haul the loads at -10* but those go directly to a freezer warehouse. No juice on those loads.

In the summer, the chicken plants have an exceptionally nice odor.... and flies, LOTS of flies.

The plant I mostly haul out of requires 2 load locks and a padlock. If you don't have them, the shipping office is kind enough to sell you those items at a greatly exaggerated mark-up in price, so you certainly want to have those items in your possession prior to showing up.

4. Farmerbob1

Farmerbob1 Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2017
    Also note that if the weather is above freezing, you should leave that reefer running at 50 degrees or so, (start/stop mode) after a meat load if you are not immediately going to get another load.

No washout is perfect, and it takes very little meat or blood at 90 degrees with no air circulation to create a godawful stink that can get you rejected at a shipper.

MercuryLine and Cat sdp Thank this.
  5. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    I sure am glad i dont pull a reefer

6. MercuryLine

MercuryLine Light Load Member

Oct 4, 2019
    Southern California
    The stench is something unbelievable! We were also required to have 2 load locks and a padlock so didn't have to buy anything form the shipper thankfully.

7. MercuryLine

MercuryLine Light Load Member

Oct 4, 2019
    Southern California
    Noted-thanks! Straight to the washout from the receiver!

8. Concorde

Concorde Road Train Member

Jun 29, 2016
    West Melbourne Florida
    Funky smell?
    Lol, last New Year’s Eve I picked up a load of fresh fish in Newport News. Delivered a few hours later but waited until late on the 2nd to get a washout.

Words cannot describe how awful it smelled after two days of the reefer being off and parked in the sun...I almost puked!

I bet that trailer still stinks today!!

D.Tibbitt and Farmerbob1 Thank this.
  9. Farmerbob1

Farmerbob1 Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2017
    Even after the first washout, post-fresh-meat, you should keep that reefer running at 50F or below until you drop it, or change temp for the next shipper.

After a couple washouts, post-fresh-meat, your trailer probably has had enough blood, fat, and meat bits washed out of the trailer to let it stay unrefrigerated for a while.

MercuryLine Thanks this.
  10. I glide 47

I glide 47 Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2017
    That's not chicken parts it's chicken pharts

11. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    Rotting chicken has to be one of the worst smells on the planet. My brother and I when we were teenagers would play practical jokes on one another. He once put a bag of well used kitty litter under my car seat on a very hot day. My payback was to put a raw chicken back under his seat when I knew I wouldn't be driving for a few days. Upon his return, he opened the door and threw up from the stench.

shorty102292 and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.