Here's what a moderately bad week looks like...

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Farmerbob1, Jan 15, 2018.

1. tucker

tucker Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2008
    IN
    I didn’t even know Readers Digest was still around.
    15 bucks for a 2 year subscription ain’t bad. I may have to subscribe.

x1Heavy, scottied67 and Farmerbob1 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ad356

ad356 Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2017
    The wind is one reason I don't like van trailers. The tankers I pull, the wind just goes over the top of them. As far as surge just slow down for corners

Farmerbob1 Thanks this.
  4. Farmerbob1

Farmerbob1 Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2017
    More and more fun. Stuck on TX-6 without moving an inch for nearly 3 hours now.

Grimes county has apparently forgotten that it is their responsibility to report actual road conditions to the public. For three hours, the data from DOT on road status has been bad. No updates, even though two truck towers have squeezed through traffic in the last 3 hours.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  5. Farmerbob1

Jan 17, 2017
    Finally cleared out of the 3 hour bottleneck. Get to Loves in Waller, and their fuel line is backed up to the road. I don't even need fuel. Just a parking space long enough to get a drink and food.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  6. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    Excellent post, easy to read great flow, proper spelling and punctuation. Did you use Grammarly? lol But seriously, weeks like this will happen.

7. Justrucking2

Justrucking2 Road Train Member

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    I remember more than a few weeks like that, and I can spell. I have a college edumacation. ;-)

And they still are not paid enough.

8. Farmerbob1

Jan 17, 2017
    I do write fanfiction, original fiction, and intentionally terrible poetry to torture my asset manager if I need a preplan and don't have one.

I have used Grammarly - but not for this.

I know weeks like I have described will happen. I am simply documenting one for the new drivers to see.

And it just got worse.

I drove at 25-45 miles per hour on roads of varying conditions, until I made it to the Loves in Waller, TX. Parked my truck and walked towards the building to get something to eat while I took a break.

Put a foot on the concrete around the Cat scale, and fell. Smacked the hell out of my left outer eye socket. Broke my glasses. Sprained my wrist pretty badly.

Fortunately, I didn't hit either my nose or teeth.

The Loves called EMTs to look st me, and they said it was very unlikely I had broken the bone behind the 2 inch gash in my outer eyebrow, as I would almost instantly have an enormous black eye if I had. The wrist aches a little, and is stiff, but has no restricted motion after about 1.5 hours. The eyebrow gash has stopped bleeding.

I might be OK to drive tomorrow. We shall see.

I do carry spare glasses with a modern prescription, thankfully.

This week is the bad week that just keeps giving.

EDIT: This week has graduated from moderately bad to pretty bad.

TravR1, x1Heavy and scottied67 Thank this.
  9. Farmerbob1

Jan 17, 2017
    Well, the injuries are not complicating, other than the eye swelling pretty spectacularly.

Trying to post a pic from the phone.

Attached Files:

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  10. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    It's not bad. Yet.

Trauma is one thing. Burns are something else, those are what got me a couple times when hot coffee got all over the shift hand. How was I then supposed to get a 18 wheeler manual out to get it looked at.

Orbital and skulls do get broken if whacked hard enough. We had a kid run into my bike once with his. I was the bigger and flipped him into the pavement It was about 9 months before they stopped the sedation on him and allowed him to continue being a kid again. It was a bad day, combined with a bad summer and fall.

Farmerbob1 Thanks this.
  11. Clyde07

Clyde07 Heavy Load Member

May 28, 2013
    OK, the most important thing here is; did you jump up real quick like nothing happened, and look around to make sure nobody saw you fall? I wouldn’t know from experience, but I’ve been told that’s what you’re supposed to do.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.