How do you otr drivers sit away from home for your reset?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by peabody747, Sep 18, 2022.

1. peabody747

peabody747 Light Load Member

Jan 1, 2022
    I've got my laptop and phone etc...
    just what's made this weekend bad is cash is on short supply, been a rough year financially for me. but typically I'm not that active of a person and I'm stuck in Texas it's hot as well you know down here. it's mostly just getting comfortable to chill in here but I may have found a solution, hopefully get soon.
    maybe next time I get stuck I'll find something interesting, but not a golfer though

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Kshaw0960

Kshaw0960 Road Train Member

Jun 17, 2018
    I will try for a hotel with a pool. Watch some tv, swim, Uber for groceries.

4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Some of us are born to trash around and don't need luxuries to keep us content.
    Never had a tv in the truck. Just prefer a laptop, cb radio, ham radio to communicate with people worldwide.
    I met a couple of drivers that had all that plus a radio to listen to aircraft communications.
    To top that off, I keep books; the classics.
    I don't need or want human interaction.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2022
  5. ProfessionalNoticer

ProfessionalNoticer Road Train Member

Apr 25, 2021
    I used to get a room, do my grocery shopping, cooking and laundry during a reset.

6. roundhouse

roundhouse Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2018
    If I had a couple days and I could find a place to drop the trailer, I’d bobtail to a state park and stay in the campground ,

7. Redtwin

Redtwin Road Train Member

Aug 17, 2012
    PBC, FL
    Unlimited data on my phone, Amazon Fire stick and a few DVD box sets.

I don't know how anyone can be bored in this modern era...unless you have no interests in anything.

8. roundhouse

roundhouse Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2018
    I agree.
    When I started driving in 1988 cell phones were a prop on Star Trek, GPS was still a classified military secret , and Al Gore had not invented the internet yet.

i could browse bringatrailer and justacarguy and eBay all day ….

9. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    When I came from NZ in 2004 I had a house and small mortgage there, but had borrowed money to get here, and was way behind the ball when I finally started driving. All I wanted to do was run 11 hours drive, 10 hours or less down, and - on paper logs, averaged 2900 miles a week for over a year on the first year.

The only thing that slowed me down was dispatch - I got 'Up on the One" by rescheduling my appointments and chomping at the bit for the next load. I literally ate tuna and crackers, and Chef Boyardee for the first 4 months. Lost 40 lbs. A sit down Flying J meal twice a week was a treat - whether a breakfast omelette or a steak dinner.

Any time I had to sit for 34, the trash can became a water vessel, and rags, a bottle of Armorall, a little Dirt Devil vacuum cleaner - I'd spend the time cleaning the company truck. It was spotless. Between catching up on sleep, cleaning and tidying the truck, laundry and a shower, I was fully occupied during any down time.

I've become lazier now - but with a 120"ICT sleeper, the last thing I really want to do at home is clean and tinker. So that's what I still do out on the road. It's hardly as clean as I used to keep a smaller truck, but no matter the weather, there's always something to be done.

Siinman, Opus, truckerman75103 and 9 others Thank this.
  10. Judge

Judge Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Arkansas
    Tubitv and quart/pint of ice cream.

A0E03EF9-5B4C-4D33-8339-0A601F276C4F.gif
    F46A4189-81E7-46D4-BB66-D47C1EE9466C.gif

11. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    Hmmmm.....well there's beer, if you drink enough of that, then a lot of time will pass easily. I have a tablet with Hulu live TV on it so entertainment is covered, football season is here so that makes it even better, college or pro doesn't matter. I clean up the inside of my truck every weekend, detail it and all. Some weekends I even polish my wheels. That's a good workout and it's time consuming. 34 hrs really ain't that enough time to die from boredom in my estimation.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.