How do you switch the gear?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Slim one, Dec 5, 2013.

1. Slim one

Slim one Light Load Member

Oct 23, 2013
    Hi truckers. I've got a question about right way to switch gear. The company where I was on training showed me the only one way which was speed and RPM adjustment and I was told not to push clutch pedal at all exept when I start to move or want to stop. But on youtube I see people use double clutch method to switch the gear. After 2 month driving and switching 10 speed transmission I am still not satisfied with my switching. I'd like to know which method experienced drivers use when they driving trucks with manual transmission. I drive International 9400i.
    Thank you.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TruckDuo

TruckDuo Road Train Member

Oct 21, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Most of the drivers on here will tell you they float gears. I like to double clutch.

4. 8thnote

8thnote Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2013
    Chattanooga, TN
    I was taught to double clutch for my CDL test, but my first trainer taught me how to float em, which is what I've been doing ever since. Sometimes, however, if the rpms drop too low, I have to bump the clutch to get it out of gear. That being said, thre is no right or wrong way. Do whatever works or you.

Emulsified, Slim one, TruckDuo and 2 others Thank this.
  5. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    I float up and clutch down, most of the time.
    As said, up to you really.

TruckDuo Thanks this.
  6. JohnnyC

JohnnyC Light Load Member

Feb 17, 2009
    virginia beach, virginia
    Matter of preference.

7. marineman227

marineman227 Dock Waterer

Jan 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    I float up. Use the clutch to get it out of gear then float it in on the way down. I was taught to double clutch and still can if the situation requires it. Being proficient at both ways will help you out down the road

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  8. Graborn

Graborn Bobtail Member

Nov 18, 2013
    Smyrna, Tn
    I floated (did not use the clutch) except to start or stop. A lot of trucking companies are teaching the double clutch method these days but its not really needed. Its all about road speed and RPMS. you will never get into the lower, and when I mean lower gears I mean 4th to 2nd unless you are at or below 5000 rpms. That being said allow me to simplify this. Every truck is unique. The longer you drive it the more you will adjust to it and the more it will adjust to you. It just takes time. Also, the more stressed you are the more you grind the gears. Also you are probably over revving to upshift and downshift. Use a lighter touch, relax and know that in time it will just start to happen. Be safe.

TruckDuo Thanks this.
  9. Pumpkin Oval Head

Pumpkin Oval Head Road Train Member

Jun 24, 2010
    Scranton PA
    I drive two Mack trucks, and older one is a 425 hp with an Eaton trans and it shifts great without using the clutch. The other one is a 475 hp with a Mack/Volvo trans and it does not shift very well without using the clutch....it shifts pretty well double clutching...this tranny also bangs loudly when it shifts to the low range. The truck is only a year old, but the tranny is not great.

So the way I shift depends on the transmission I am driving. I prefer to float the gears, but some trannys need the clutch for easier shifting. I have never found an Eaton shifter that I didn't like.

Skydivedavec Thanks this.
  10. wore out

wore out Numbered Classic

Jun 5, 2013
    CHASIN THE DEVIL'S HERD
    I do it just like marineman227. The answer to your question is however you can be the smoothest or what works best for you. Being easy on the truck is the answer.

11. 439530

439530 Light Load Member

Jun 28, 2013
    San Antonio
    I started off double clutching , then learned floating. Floating is usually easier because it requires less effort. Usually on the low gears I will push the shifter into the next gear at a lower rpm, then as I get into the higher gears, I need to use a higher rpm to shift. My rule of thumb was if it was easy to shift at a certain RPM, then that is the ideal RPM to shift at, except if you are going up a hill down etc.

Downshifting. I usually will let the RPMs go down to around 500 to 700 RPMs then, as I start to pull the shifter out, the thing doesnt want to come out easy, so I give it a little gas as I pull it out and it will come out easy, then decide beforehand what gear you need to be in for the speed you are at, then give it a little gas, then put it in the gear. If you give it too much gas, the shifter will grind loudly until the RPMs die down then it will go in, so just rev it a little for a smooth downshift. Also, make sure to brake first, then try the downshift. I always make a habit a braking just a little first.

Mikey60919 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.