How long would it take to partially ruin a load of cabbage...

Discussion in 'Refrigerated Trucking Forum' started by loose_leafs, Apr 24, 2017.

1. loose_leafs

loose_leafs Road Train Member

Jan 3, 2014
    Old Man River, MN
    ... that was accidentally or purposely set on start/stop? I am about 99% sure somebody tampered with my trailer, the setpoint was 36 degrees, but somebody switched it to start stop at a truck stop. It ran like that for probably an hour and a half or two hours, before I realize that my reefer shut off going down the road and I still had a green light. Half of the Load was palletize boxes, those I am not too concerned about, the other half was double-stacked bulk bins, and I can't remember if they put Lids on the bins or not. One thing going for me is there is no recorder in the Box...

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. BigTennOTR

BigTennOTR Medium Load Member

Dec 5, 2016
    Tenn
    It would take longer then 2 hours.....

4. loose_leafs

Jan 3, 2014
    Old Man River, MN
    Well, on start stop a properly functioning reefer can throw air 15 or more degrees colder than the return air temp, so in the return air temp gets down to 36, it can be throwing air as cold as 20 degrees right onto the product. And as sensitive as cabbage is, I would kind of like to make sure...

BigTennOTR Thanks this.
  5. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    I wouldn't say anything if I were you.Act like nothing happened.I would think only a couple hrs in the start/stop position won't affect the load trailer is still cold inside isn't it?Make sure its on continuous and leave it at that.

Heathar and AtticusRoad Thank this.
  6. BigTennOTR

BigTennOTR Medium Load Member

Dec 5, 2016
    Tenn
    Wasnt trying to be a smart ### lol just trying to say i wouldnt worry about it lol

AtticusRoad and loose_leafs Thank this.
  7. loose_leafs

Jan 3, 2014
    Old Man River, MN

My main concern would be freezing the top layer, that's what I am worried about,

8. 062

062 Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2013
    The only ones I'd be worried about is the first two rows. If those are the boxed,I wouldn't be too worried.

9. Aradrox

Aradrox Heavy Load Member

Jan 21, 2016
    Ya I would not worry to much I'm a worry wort as well so like you iay ask questions ... Don't mention it though you know CYA

10. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Reefers can maintain temp but they cannot keep up once the product starts gaining heat energy. Continuous time. For a while anyhow. Then back to normal after a while.

11. KillingTime

KillingTime Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2016
    Rockland, Maine
    Maybe someone thought the world needed more sauerkraut?.... Couldn't imagine who tho.... Any suspicious looking Irish men lingering around your rig today?

Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
    AtticusRoad Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.