How often do you get to keep food because of damaged package?

Discussion in 'Refrigerated Trucking Forum' started by Tb0n3, Feb 3, 2019.

1. Buckeye 60

Buckeye 60 Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2018
    being the company man that I am I had 3 cases of hamburger going unclaimed from a multiple stop load and to save the company all that paperwork I just disposed of them ....... that's the pay you get for all the foolishness and time wasters you have to deal with in the reefer game

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tucker

tucker Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2008
    IN
    I agree, if the overage isn't noted on any bills, is there any proof that there ever was an overage?

Thouren, Grubby and Chinatown Thank this.
  4. Farmerbob1

Farmerbob1 Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2017
    I once had the opportunity to keep 7 cases of hams. About 250 lbs total, due to blood on the boxes. Unfortunately I was 2000 miles from home. I called a soup kitchen and they came to get it.

I have kept many cases of cookies and crackers over time. In three years i have probably been able to keep ten cases of non-perishables.

I managed to find room in the cooler for a bunch of blueberries once. Strawberries another time.

I wouldn't count on OSD feeding you reliably, but it can be a welcome way to get some free calories.

Omega1 and KB3MMX Thank this.
  5. tucker

tucker Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2008
    IN
    I got to keep a case of toilet paper. The giant size type.
    Yep

DusktillDawn, KB3MMX and Farmerbob1 Thank this.
  6. motocross25

motocross25 Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2010
    Overland Park, KS
    I used to deliver to a deep freeze cold storage facility bi-weekly in St. Louis and got to know some of the guys there. One morning a dude told me the ordering department accidently put an extra “0” at the end of an order of popsicles and if I wanted some. As I was separating bills I said “yea man I appreciate it” and he told me he’d put them in the empty I was returning to our yard. Went out hooked up, opened the doors to make sure it was empty and there was a 4 foot tall pallet on the right wall in the nose of my trailer. I thought we were just talkin a few boxes, MAYBE a case. Apparently we were not on the same page.

7. booley

booley Road Train Member

Feb 16, 2008
    sounds like a whipped cream orgy, was there reefer involved?

8. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

It’s kind of rare on my side, but I’d say it can happen every few months. When it does happen, I get to keep over a hundred dollars worth of food or candy. I once got to keep like 10 boxes of Hershey’s almond chocolate bars. Each box has like 25 bars, and they cost about 85 cents each at Walmart. The candy lasted me several months.

9. darknessesedge

darknessesedge Medium Load Member

Jul 8, 2013
    cookies/crackers/meat/juice....you name it I got it...lol....gave a lot away to locals when I fuled up

PE_T Thanks this.
  10. ByoDyne

ByoDyne Bobtail Member

Jan 27, 2018
    I've had a lot more dry van stuff rejected that I was able to keep but once with a frozen load the grocery cons rejected about 30-40 cases of tater tots, dinners and deserts because the outside cases were dented or had a small tear. Called OS&D and they called the shipper to see what they wanted done with it. They didn't want it back and said no to donating it to food bank (liability issues I assume) so I was told to dump it. Drove it to one of our terminals about 30 mi away and told the maintenance guys to grab whatever they wanted.

PE_T Thanks this.
  11. Buckeye 60

Buckeye 60 Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2018
    I avoid hauling groceries like the plague but that is a benifit. ........... my total lumper bill for last year was 75.00 ... that should tell you how much food i haul ...... had an extra cabinet last year they told me to dispose of it and destroy all the labelsand box and never mention it at the plant where I picked up at or any place else .. so I took it home and installed it in my laundry room until I could figure out where the best way of disposing it

motocross25 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.