Huge setback!

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Oledevildog, Dec 11, 2013.

1. avenger79

avenger79 Medium Load Member

Sep 13, 2010
    WIS
    that's a funny thing to say, but according to your little sign there you're new at driving. you do realize years ago it was actually that way, show up, pay your money get your license..........that was back in the days of "higher" pay for drivers..........hmmmm

Skydivedavec Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Calregon

Calregon Light Load Member

Dec 8, 2013
    Oregon
    Also, remember. When you do get your license, it DOES'NT say how many times you took the test.

hal380 Thanks this.
  4. Tonythetruckerdude

Tonythetruckerdude Crusty Deer Slayer

Dec 8, 2012
    hunting...../ retired
    Great points there...but your wife is not gonna damage anything..and Babe Ruth was also the hot-dog eating king! Mr. ED hit on the gist of it though.....we have good days backing and bad days...I've seen the time I couldn't back into a spot with nothing at all around , just lines on the pavement...then again I've pulled into restaurants and parallel parked with out any correction at all...

Skydivedavec, MZdanowicz and Mr Ed Thank this.
  5. Cranky Yankee

Cranky Yankee Cranky old ######

Jan 31, 2012
    Green Bay Wi
    you don't think poor depth perception might be a problem in this business?

RedForeman and KW Cajun Thank this.
  6. Tonythetruckerdude

Tonythetruckerdude Crusty Deer Slayer

Dec 8, 2012
    hunting...../ retired
    Now ...you know it doesn't affect a thing......:biggrin_25525::biggrin_25525::biggrin_25525:

7. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    I hit the thank button because everyone has a right to their opinion,thats what the forum is opionated and agree to disagree if done tastefully and you did just that.

8. RedForeman

RedForeman Momentum Conservationist

Jan 30, 2011
    Funny stuff. Windsmith made two points and everyone thinks it's an attack. 4 attempts at a bare minimum competency says something, I don't care who you are. The stress factor will always be there. Whether it's cone crushing in front of a DOT examiner, using the street with moving traffic as a loading zone, threading between parked cars or other obstacles, and the like. The examination range is the weak sister to the stuff you'll get in the real world. PS: those awkward docks and loading zones that area also highways exist other places than NY. Many, many old places built back in the days of cabovers pulling 35 or 40 footers still open today with no improvements for longer trucks. A few even stage trailers across from the docks (Kroger East Point GA much?) in order to help you keep your backing skills finely honed and avoid boredom when delivering there.

OP: The only way it will get better is practice. If you don't have access to a truck anymore I guess you'd have to talk to some schools. Maybe get some sort of rate for a week of backing instruction. Last resort, a pickup with a longer trailer would be a start. What you probably need is develop a better sense of spacial awareness. That is, knowing the position of your truck/trailer relative to obstacles and be able to visualize the backing maneuver well enough to manage the steering inputs. Out of curiosity, which backing test was problematic? or was it all of them?

9. TruckDuo

TruckDuo Road Train Member

Oct 21, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Ohio is truck friendly. They have plenty of truck parking. Plus, anyone been on the Ohio turnpike ? They offer free drivers lounge. It has FREE showers, tv, and I believe laundry.

Ohio is also the only state I see signs telling four wheelers to give plenty of room to trucks when changing lanes or they'll be ticketed.

enicolasy, Floorguy1 and hal380 Thank this.
  10. jungledrums

jungledrums Heavy Load Member

Oct 28, 2013
    Tennessee
    I'm sorry you have to wait so long ... to make someone wait for 1/2 a year before trying again is dumb.

if being a trucker is your dream...don't give up!

11. RedForeman

RedForeman Momentum Conservationist

Jan 30, 2011
    Not trying to be funny and maybe stating the obvious, but OP: when was your last eye exam and new glasses rx?

I have both contacts and glasses. With the contacts, I have depth perception problems especially with small and distant reference points like cones and pylons on a range. That, plus never being able to keep my hands clean enough to handle the contacts, is why I wear my glasses when driving the big truck. Or taking DOT physical eye tests for that matter. The glasses correction is much more precise, something that's sort of important for driving.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.