I miss the road sometimes ladies and gents...

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by ExOTR, May 23, 2018.

1. ExOTR

ExOTR Windshield Chipper Extraordinaire

Jan 23, 2013
    Fort Worth, Tx
    I enjoy the new career, but miss the road.
    I’m guessing it’s the nostalgia filter, and I know it’s not what it was 3 years ago.(Much less 13 years ago when I started)

This is a random thank you post to all the drivers out there still churning miles. Now I’m dependent on y’all to keep things moving and stocked, and I’ll always have respect for anyone climbing into that cab...

Hat tip ladies and gents, to all of you.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Suspect Zero

Suspect Zero Road Train Member

Oct 10, 2016
    Burbank, IL
    I understand what you mean. I left an OTR job I loved for a home nightly gig to be able to help care for family and not a day goes by that I don't miss being out there.

Vic Firth, Dave_in_AZ and ExOTR Thank this.
  4. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    Drop in from time to time - don't be a stranger.

I don't know about churn the miles, this year has been slowly stir the miles, and WOW that butter took a lot less work than last year.

5. joesmoothdog

joesmoothdog Heavy Load Member

Aug 5, 2013
    OTR
    Greasy elbow? Drunk dialing? LOL!!!:biggrin_25514:I'll trade ya. My iron horse don't ##### like the ex did but ....

6. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    Go down to The J and get ya couple corn dogs and go eat them in the lounge.

I used to do that when I did concrete.

7. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Even if you don’t drive anymore, you are still very much welcome here. And if anyone tries to tell you otherwise, I want to know about it. :cool:

8. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    As do I Exotr. I'll die a trucker but I don't intend on going any where any time soon myself.

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  9. UsualSuspect

UsualSuspect Road Train Member

Aug 14, 2016
    Yo Mama's
    I left a month ago and also miss it, took a desk job back in IT. While I make great money, the road calls, so I told the wife, when she retires in 5 years I will be back out.

Dave_in_AZ and ExOTR Thank this.
  10. Trucking in Tennessee

Trucking in Tennessee Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Nashville
    I can break you of missing the road. I hired on to a company as their local driver. Flat salary. On call anytime from Monday morning until Saturday morning. Most runs were under 200, mainly to the Ford plant in Louisville. We got some freight out of Alcoa at the Ryder cross dock. Went up there on a Tuesday and got right in. It's tight, mainly for box vans, but you can squeeze. So dispatch calls (A foreigner) and says I have the same run tomorrow. It was about 9:00 pm. So I asked if I could come earlier. Warehouse manager said sure, anytime after 3. Backstory: my first day with them I showed up at 5:00 AM for a run. They said why you here so early? I said that's what the app on my phone said (sylectus). They said no, you go by what we tell you. (Not good). So I Get up there about 3:30 The next afternoon and an OTR driver from our company is there. He gets a load and I am waiting on mine. I go in and give them the pro number and no match. It's then I realize it's the same number from yesterday. The warehouse manager says you have no load. I call in and they say no, you wrong, you got load. They tell me to wait, and that I got there too soon. Should be 9:00. So I ask the WM again. He says every load you guys get arrives at 3. You got one load and its on the other guys truck. So I call back in and question the pro number. I said if we have a load where is the new number? They tell me to stop calling. I know this is screwed. So I park in a closed area and sleep a few hours. Call again. More anger. Now I am getting pissed, but I see what's happened. If I come back empty someone gets chewed. So this ### is trying to scrounge a load from somewhere. I called the head of safety and complained . I was told I had to do what the dispatchers say. I explained. He calls me back and says a truck from Atlanta is coming. Stay there until 10. So I wait. Local driver remember? Sparse truck. No APU, no nothing. Low on fuel because I was going to TA after I loaded. Finally , after numerous shouting matches, and 10 had come and gone, I said if this truck isn't here by 3 am I'm coming home. No, you can't do that. Watch me. At 3 I left and drove through thunderstorms all the way. Next afternoon we get together , safety, dispatch and me. I said before we start, I have one question: did the truck ever arrive? You can guess the answer. Never worked for a worse company in my life. Live and learn.

11. ExOTR

ExOTR Windshield Chipper Extraordinaire

Jan 23, 2013
    Fort Worth, Tx
    That’s not watching the sun rise from above the clouds in update NY.
    Or the stories you hear when everyone is trapped on I70/80 during a random snowstorm.
    It’s not enjoying breakfast at a Petro where everyone at the counter is complaining about lumpers and dispatchers.
    It’s non reminiscing about White’s in Virginia, or about the demise of Mom&Pop stops in general.
    It’s about the camaraderie, the wave, the nod to fellow driver who were experiencing the same as you.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.