Illegal to reuse contaminated brake shoes?

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by Ronman105, Aug 21, 2019.

1. Ronman105

Ronman105 Light Load Member

Dec 30, 2018
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    I've had TA do 2 wheel seals lately. One is holding up for now and the other is being replaced FOR THE THIRD TIME in 3 weeks. The first guy installed the seal improperly and TA confirmed it so they put their head mechanic on the job to do the warranty work. They told me they were replacing the hub and brakes at their cost as a result because everything was contaminated and they could see where it was installed wrong.
    However, they replaced the hub but only cleaned the brakes instead of replacing them. My brakes are grabbing so badly as a result that I can't run the truck safely until they fix it. They've had the truck for 24 hours as of this posting. I've been told it's illegal to reuse brake pads if they've previously been contaminated. I know it'll get you an out of service violation in a heartbeat but was it actually illegal for them to cut corners by cleaning up the old brake shoes and reinstalling them instead of putting on new ones?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. JonJon78

JonJon78 Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2018
    My question would be why in the world are you letting TA do repairs on your truck? Maybe an emergency tire repair but that's about it...

4. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    Absolutely a last resort - I’ll find an independent in a heartbeat.

5. mhyn

mhyn Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Northridge, CA
    what you mean by saying brakes are grabbing ?

FlaSwampRat Thanks this.
  6. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    BRING IT RIGHT BACK TO THE SAME SHOP, TELL THE MANAGER TO REPLACE THE SHOES.

NEVER REUSE OIL SOAK SHOES. NEVER.

7. sevenmph

sevenmph Road Train Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Pinellas county Florida
    Car or truck it doesn't matter. Oil soaked brake shoes or pads are worthless, useless and have to be replaced

8. Ronman105

Dec 30, 2018
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    That's exactly what I did. I have gotten a new hub and brake shoes from them at their expense because they jacked up the first seal replacement then tried to reuse the old brake shoes on the second replacement when they were already contaminated. It has taken three shop visits to remedy what was originally just a bad rear seal. I will never use a TA or Petro ever again unless I'm in dire need and they are the only ones around. I was just wondering if they actually broke the law by putting the old shoes back on since the federal regulations state that it's an immediate out of service violation.

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  9. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    Which TA. It was in Ohio right?

Snailexpress Thanks this.
  10. Ronman105

Dec 30, 2018
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    The first was the Petro in Las Vegas, second was the TA in Oklahoma City, the third was the TA in Vegas.

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  11. nikmirbre

nikmirbre Road Train Member

Jul 27, 2011
    High Point NC
    No it’s not illegal, in most cases I’d have them replaced. Late 2016 I had a wheel seal go bad, cleaned the brakes, those brakes are still on the truck today....

mtoo and tucker Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.