Is it supposed to be this awful buying a truck?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by TastesLikeChicken, Mar 15, 2023.

1. BobO1176

BobO1176 Light Load Member

Oct 29, 2021
    I have a beauty 2019 VHD 400 tractor with 175,000mi if you are still looking. Setback front axle.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    I really wish you'd found this forum earlier - there's a lot of helpful minds here.

4. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Did you call the credit card company and tell them what happened?

Now if you used the card (not a cash advance but had the card actually charged at the dealer) and you didn't get your truck, then they are in breach of contract with not just you but the card company. You tell the card company you didn't get what you ordered, write it up with dates, time and who you talked to. Make it as detailed as you can and send it to the card company. Once you open a complaint, you should get a fraud investigator who will investigate this.

Also did you file a complaint with the state licensing agency about the fraud?

ALWAYS do this, the state won't like this crap.

They don't have a defense, any lawyer would get the money out of them plus expenses.

5. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
  6. Space Truckin

Space Truckin Light Load Member

Mar 8, 2023
    Venus, Mars, and Tampa, FL
    Are new trucks still experiencing chip (or other component) shortages? If so, Schneider may be hanging on to their trucks a little longer than normal.

I was all ready to buy my own truck about a year ago, but you could not find one (without paying insane price) at that time. As I mentioned further up thread, I think I read that older fleet trucks started to come back down to earth a little, maybe not so much newer / 'OO spec' trucks though. But I'm no longer in the market, so not paying as close attention as I was.

7. Mnmover99

Mnmover99 Light Load Member

Oct 22, 2022
    I do not think they have the lifting axle 4x2, but Momentun Truck sales (Freightliner Dealer) in St Cloud MN has some used tractors to look at.

8. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Sodrel Truck Lines, Inc. might have some used trucks to sell.
    Has the lift axle. Day cabs and sleepers.
    ~
    [​IMG][​IMG]

9. Brandonpdx

Brandonpdx Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2007
    Elkhart, IN
    As soon as they asked for $5,000 I would have said thanks anyway. Only way that's happening is if I am driving off in it like right now. Today.

I am in a similar position possibly looking to special order a trailer. They want a 20% deposit which is a lot IMO and the trailer takes a couple months to be built and show up, hopefully the exact way I ordered it with no surprises. Part of me knows this is asking to get screwed somehow in a similar way you did.

10. fordconvert

fordconvert Light Load Member

Jul 21, 2012
    nebraska
    Roughly 15 years ago, a used car dealer stiffed me on a deposit like the OP. Very similar story, but in the end, I got my assault charge reduced to “disorderly conduct”. I’m not a violent person, but I can be a bit defensive when BS like this happens.

11. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
    That's a win anyway you slice it.
    Well done

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.