K&B Transportation: I Should Have Known Better

Discussion in 'Report A BAD Trucking Company Here' started by FatTone225, Nov 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FatTone225

FatTone225 Light Load Member

May 6, 2014
    I guess my K&B saga is over, so I'll let you guys know what happened.

I spoke to the truck center in Rochelle, IL who K&B instructed to remove my personal items from the truck so they could fix the wheel studs. They told me they had my stuff and sent me a picture of some stuff on a pallet. I could see my cooler and my 5 gallon bucket, but everything else was in black plastic garbage bags. He said he wouldn't go through it all and tell me what was there. It looked like a decent heap of bags so I thought it might all be there.

I drove out to Rochelle, IL from Detroit in my personal vehicle. They brought out the pallet and as I was loading my belongings into my car I noticed that everything of any significant monetary value was missing. This includes:
    -My 15-degree synthetic sleeping bag
    -InstantPot pressure cooker
    -RoadPro Box oven
    -RoadPro hot water heater
    -My duffel bag (the green kind that zip up the middle with the backpack straps)
    -Ninja Bullet blender (Brand new, never used)
    -Laundry detergent and other "household" items
    -Bags of food
    -Dishes (These likely were moldy and the repair center employee said he threw out anything with mold)
    -2 Journals
    -Bag of hand tools (This was left in the truck and is at K&B yard)
    -Black Leather Zip-up Portfolio (with legal pad, pens, etc)
    -Brand new coat/sweatshirt (the kind with the fuzzy inside)

I'm sure I'm not remembering everything.

Things that were returned to me:
    My clothes
    Plastic Tupperware Cabinets
    THE MANUAL TO MY INSTANT POT WITH ALL THE ACCESSORIES
    TWO BLENDING CUPS THAT CAME WITH THE NINJA BLENDER
    A bag of papers with a bunch of old bills and my birth certificate
    My cooler
    5 gallon bucket
    My work boots and gloves
    Sheets and pillows

I immediately called the local police, who then "turned it over to county" sheriffs. The sheriff arrived and refused to inventory the items I was claiming were missing, or the items that were returned to me. He told me I couldn't come inside with him to talk to the employees, but then eventually relented.

Turns out he's a "good old boy" on a first name basis with half of the employees. Handshakes all around. "How's the family." That kind of thing. Does a cursory questioning of the employee who cleaned out my truck who could barely look me in the face and was obviously having a moral battle internally. Sheriff decides there's nothing to be done and that's that.

No attorney will take the case because the value of the stolen property isn't great enough. Police in all 3 counties involved are telling me I have no case as I do not have documentation of the items that were in the truck.

Basically K&B wins. They gave me the runaround, and successfully at that. I drove 800 miles to recover a small fraction of my belongings in addition to the rental car/gas and motel in Joliet.

Pretty surreal situation.

scottied67 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Toomanybikes

Toomanybikes Road Train Member

Apr 8, 2009
    Tough lesson to learn. I wan't to say you should have known, but I know that this sort of thing becomes a surprise to everyone: More often then not your stuff, your life, is meaningless crap to these trucking companies.

You are lucky you got back what you did. I have seen trucking companies dispatch out one driver's assigned truck, with another driver for the weekend, only to have the first driver come back from a 34 at home to find all his stuff has a new owner.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
  4. steelcitytrucka

steelcitytrucka Light Load Member

Oct 9, 2017
    Well if he’s lease purchasing a truck he will have to work harder and stay out longer than he did at this outfit so I would have to disagree. To own or to try and own a truck takes dedicated non cry baby hard work.

5. steelcitytrucka

steelcitytrucka Light Load Member

Oct 9, 2017
    Also I’m sorry your stuff is gone but anything you walk away from which technically you walked away from it when you and the truck parted ways you have to be prepared to never see again. You’re a big boy and only you will protect your things. No one else

6. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    At least you're done with KB.

7. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    That's why I say put your stuff in a cheap small storage close to the terminal. When you get with your next company, roll through the area and get your stuff out of storage. K&B has been through hundreds of drivers just like you and know exactly how to steal not only your worldly goods but your dignity and sanity as well.

8. Frank Speak

Frank Speak Road Train Member

May 3, 2016
    Anytime I know I’m leaving an outfit, I know space in the rental car will be limited. That’s why I also rent a wood chipper and run everything through it and then I put it in one of those bags you hook a vacuum to and suck all the air out.

No one’s getting my stuff but me!

p.s. don’t ever stick your head in one of those bags and turn the vacuum on!

Lonesome Thanks this.
  9. Lonesome

Lonesome Mr. Sarcasm

Dec 15, 2007
    Northern Indiana
    Who carries their birth certificate with them in the truck? For 8 months?

Broke Down 69 Thanks this.
  10. Frank Speak

Frank Speak Road Train Member

May 3, 2016
    I carry a picture of my Poodle.

Lonesome Thanks this.
  11. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    I'm sorry, but the moment you stole their truck I knew that was going to happen. Of course it's not right, but it is life.
    If you would have not stolen their property you would have had time to clean out your stuff before you were held by the officer.
    As for the "good ol boy" comment. What did you expect? All he knew was an ex-employee and a disgruntled one (you did call the cops) was claiming they stole stuff, with zero evidence.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.