Legality of running with another company's graphics?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Audiomaker, May 22, 2016.

1. w.h.o

w.h.o Road Train Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Chicago, il
    Right, but the company knows that and allow them to. I guess it could be a copyright thing? But I won't worry about it, u said the company when out of business

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. w.h.o

w.h.o Road Train Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Chicago, il
    I guess if I start a company name barney. But decide hey I like how schneider logo look, plus might deter dot and bring more customer because they see the name everywhere. Then yeah problem.

4. HotH2o

HotH2o Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2012
    Bunyan Springs, Colorado
    Roll with the trailer and send the previous owner an invoice for advertising.

5. Syd'sTrucking

Syd'sTrucking Light Load Member

Oct 25, 2013
    Exactly. Other than that, there's absolutely NO law that says you can't pull it. DOT or MC #s would be a problem. Not graphics or names. Copyrighted or not. Besides he released it that way.

1johnb Thanks this.
  6. supersnackbar

supersnackbar Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    I still see old Burlington and MS Carriers trade trailers out here that still have the original lettering (not just the shadow images of where the lettering was) trailers out here. And Burlington has been out of business for quite a while.

7. PackRatTDI

PackRatTDI Licensed to Ill

Jul 15, 2006
    El Chuco, Tejas
    I sometimes see old Dick Simon trailers running around with the ol stinky still visible.

8. Audiomaker

Audiomaker Light Load Member

May 25, 2014
    Portland, Oregon
    I guess my original question had more to do with the graphics matching the presumed contents.

I mean, if you roll by DOT with a trailer that says "Marcy's Marshmallows" and it's full of car parts...etc.

I guess if there's no rules, then you could put whatever you want on the trailer right?
    I bet it would be entertaining to work the load boards with a trailer that said "Billy Bob's Adult Fun Products"... complete with graphics. ;-)

9. buzzarddriver

buzzarddriver Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    If they were all that concerned about someone running with their graphic's, they would make sure they were removed before selling the trailer.
    Ask the plumber in Texas about how his plumbing service truck he sold ended up in Syria in an ISIS convoy with his name and phone number still on it.

Dye Guardian, AModelCat and Audiomaker Thank this.
  10. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    Yeah, there's no law re: this plus if the seller didn't remove his name obviously he doesn't care. Consider all the EX Werner/Schneider trailers running around not belonging to them. I like the trailers that have had the name removed but not the adhesive and you can still plainly read the name.

Bean Jr. and Audiomaker Thank this.
  11. India303

India303 Bobtail Member

Mar 18, 2016
    Arizona
    As far as I know, branding on trailer, you can run on it until the company sends you a cease and desist letter.

But why would you?

The only branding you can't have are government markings to some extent. No law specific but you can't roll with U.S. Marshall's or Dept/ of Energy and mock it up like a real agency vehicle without raising some serious concerns.

Audiomaker Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.