Linehaul Bids and the 10 Hour Break

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by ColoradoLinehaul, Feb 15, 2024.

1. ColoradoLinehaul

ColoradoLinehaul Light Load Member

Jul 11, 2021
    Colorado
    What's the legality of your company calling you to put your bid in for your linehaul run while you're on your 10 hour reset?

Company says they will try three times then move on to the next driver.

I did come across this. Wondering there is any other language, precedent or case law on this matter?

https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/regulatio...or-carrier-momentarily-interrupt-drivers-rest

I'd like to hear from other drivers how you have handled this in the past.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. wichris

wichris Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2011
    They can call, you don't have to answer or change to on duty. Or they can just move on to the next person.

Siinman, Hawkeye72, Hammer166 and 4 others Thank this.
  4. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    One company I was at would have us come in for safety meetings during our 10 hours off, but still expected us to continue driving that evening.

bzinger Thanks this.
  5. Eddiec

Eddiec Road Train Member

Feb 2, 2015
    I did not answer the phone when I was on my 10 hour break ( except for family). Operations knows better - and if they don't advise Safety of the problem.

MACK E-6 Thanks this.
  6. Judge

Judge Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Arkansas
  7. '88K100

'88K100 Road Train Member

Aug 23, 2020
    27 years same company and ive never attended a safety meeting. When “invited” I told them if anything valid comes out of HR’s cake hole you can email me the information. Never a response. I dont work bankers hours.

8. Banker

Banker Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2012
    Legally waiting for a dispatch can be logged off duty. Talking to them on the phone doesn’t change that law either. I agree with you I wouldn’t like being woken up to bid, but I would rather do it one time a year or so than a junior driver taking a bid I had the seniority to get. Most reasonable companies put a bid sheet up so they don’t have to wake up all of their sleeping drivers to run the bids.

9. FLHT

FLHT Road Train Member

Aug 2, 2014
    We used to do our semi annual bids by calling.
    Found a better and faster way to doit.
    Post a sheet up giving each driver a time to call for his spot.Gave them 15 min to make the call, if they missed the window move on to the next one on the list.
    If calling in late they can take whats left.
    Leave a signed paper with caller as to what you want with a few options.
    No matter what you do their is always someone who will try to put a wrench in the works.

Speed_Drums and ColoradoLinehaul Thank this.
  10. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    I’m not exactly sure what the question is. Is this a case of somebody on the extra board who runs at night getting call as whether they’re working that night or not during the day?

That shouldn’t be happening if it is.

11. jmz

jmz Road Train Member

Mar 9, 2018
    Great Plains
    Do they at least tell you what day they’ll be calling?

We bid the same way at my place right now, except they pause the bid when they can’t get ahold of someone. The bid progress is posted every afternoon so drivers can see who’s been called and what runs are taken.

Speed_Drums Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.