Local / Home Daily Job Advice

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by pypfm, Dec 27, 2019.

1. DARKNIGHTRUCKER

DARKNIGHTRUCKER Light Load Member

May 3, 2020
    Well the company I'm with paid for my trucking school. It was hard to find a company that would actually pay for a local trucking school near me .

What I actually wanted to do was wait til July (this was in Feb when I was planning initially) and do a 10 week program trucking school at my local community college that was cheap enough to pay out of pocket . But then coronavirus ####ed everything up and I took the first local option available.

Coffey and LtlAnonymous Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. LtlAnonymous

LtlAnonymous Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2016
    So will your pay increase once the school is paid off? Because I'm home daily and gross about $1400 per week. That's been quite adequate.

Coffey Thanks this.
  4. DARKNIGHTRUCKER

DARKNIGHTRUCKER Light Load Member

May 3, 2020
    But what is that after taxes ? How did you get that job is it local job?

I make about 350-450 per paycheck (after taxes) with the highest one so far being 490.

Main problem is I only get .30 cpm. It goes up to .35 after 3-6 months but that's still terrible.

Ive applied to some other companies now that I have at least some experience (2 months otr). I've been talking the most Melton Truck Lines and Marten Transport. Melton would start me off at .47 cpm and I'd be making .50 or .51 after a year with them. Both companies seem to tack on more pay for various things as well depending on situation.

LtlAnonymous Thanks this.
  5. LtlAnonymous

Dec 23, 2016
    It's just under $1100 take home.

I got the job by applying.

It's considered "linehaul," but I'm home every single day with no exceptions.

.30 cpm is...and this is not a judgment on you in any way, but a judgment on your company... ####ing terrible in 2020, and a ####### joke.

I had 12 years of experience before I put in an application with my current employer. So maybe that helped quite a bit. But I made $90k per year from my 7th year on (minus the early going at this current job, making less than the union pay scale temporarily).

Shop your experience around. Maybe look into specializing. There are ways to make amazing money in this industry.

Coffey Thanks this.
  6. TNSquire

TNSquire Medium Load Member

Oct 13, 2016
    Decatur, TN
    Cattle, pigs, chickens, guineas, dogs, and if mama has her way, goats and horses...
    Pigs are brutal on fences, and goats are worse. It's said that if you wanna test a fence to see if it's goat proof, throw a bucket of water at it and see what gets through... If a drop gets past it, it ain't goat proof.

Hazmat Cat, dwells40 and Coffey Thank this.
  7. zzdgr

zzdgr Bobtail Member

Jul 3, 2020
    I got married at 21 and got my cdl right after, I got hired by a small carrier (3 trucks) pulling amazon trailers home every night $250/day

Hazmat Cat and LtlAnonymous Thank this.
  8. sventvkg

sventvkg Light Load Member

Mar 5, 2017
    Holy Shizz!...Are there any other companies paying that little? Stevens was .36 and I didn't even consider that. Brother. You have to get with another outfit.

UturnGirl and LtlAnonymous Thank this.
  9. LtlAnonymous

Dec 23, 2016
    When I was seasonal and in my first year after getting hired, I had a lot of those weeks. Even so, just being home every day made it worth it.

Now I can't take home less than a thousand per week, so...yeah. It paid off.

10. 88228822

88228822 Heavy Load Member

Sep 26, 2018
    Holy crap I took home $825 a week with Schneider and that was before I learned to run on recaps and drive 7 days a week. Now I clear $1100 with a different company and I don't have two years experience yet.

UturnGirl Thanks this.
  11. asphaltreptile311

asphaltreptile311 Road Train Member

Jun 16, 2016
    Pretty much IV done local heavy haul and the days average 10-12 hours you burn up time with a commute and what not . I honestly think it's overrated , you spend so much time trying to rush to get sleep and back to work you don't have any actual time left once you get home.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.