Magnum ltd - fargo, nd

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by Interplanet Janet, Nov 17, 2014.

1. Zata40

Zata40 Road Train Member

Jun 6, 2016
    Northeast Illinois
    *** 18 MONTH REVIEW OF MAGNUM LTD ***

WHAT I LIKE
    - I'm always busy. I can count on one hand how many times I've delivered and didn't know what I was doing next. I wouldn't even use all my fingers.
    - The office leaves me alone. I'm contacted for getting loads, if something is due to expire like my license, if I'm late turning in paperwork, or to give me (or retrieve) some sort of pertinent information. There is no babysitting here. This is absolutely by far my favorite thing about working here. I absolutely feel respected.
    - If I can't make something work, I let them know and my decision is respected 100% of the time. They'll reschedule if necessary. That being said, I consider myself to be reasonable and responsible. It's not like I'm rescheduling appointments because I'm being lazy. If it's possible for me to make an appointment legally, then I do. Sometimes it means I have to hustle a bit. I usually call and say "I can't make this appointment on time, here is why, and this is when I can be there." They take care of it without question.
    - Dispatch/Ops is very reasonable. When coming "inbound" to Minneapolis, they ask when I can be there and find my next assignment based on when I tell them I can be there. They may say "well if you can be there by THIS time, then I have this awesome load for you..." and I'll either say no I can't do it, or I'll say ok and hustle a little more than I had intended to make it work. But I always feel like it's my decision if I want to take it easy or tighten it up. Nobody forces or even tries to force my hand to do anything.
    - Even during seemingly rocky times (like last year with all the movement in ops) the Ops manager seems to always be there. When someone can't be there for whatever reason, he's there to fill in. Unless it goes on behind the scenes without me noticing, it seems like the guy never takes a day off.
    - For the most part, I feel informed. If someone isn't in the office, we get a message. Last year there was a lot of restructuring and personnel movement going on and it got a bit hectic. But I got the sense they were trying hard to keep us drivers in the loop as much as possible via PeopleNet messages.
    - Everyone is available to talk. You can literally call anyone at this company and ask questions or voice concerns.
    - My truck. My truck is a 2015 Peterbilt 579 manual. It has treated me so well. I feel like I could have not possible been given a better truck. It had about 197,000 miles on it when I got it and now it has over 434,000 miles. I wish I could stay in it!

WHAT I DON'T LIKE
    - We seem to be growing rapidly. More drivers means more rules.
    - Lack of freight diversity. Doing the same ole thing all the time gets boring. I know I get complacent. I wish...no... I REALLY wish we had more types of freight options. Such as tanker and open deck. If there is one thing that would drive me away from here, it would be to look for a way to scratch my itch to "do something else" and learn some new skills.
    - I wish I could load and unload freight myself. At least let me have the option. I get it... insurance. But it would be nice sometimes. Definitely not all the time, but I'd like to have that option at my own will. Let me keep the lumper fee, of course.
    - Wingman driver assist. The thing gets dirty and disables cruise control. It'll slam on the brakes if a vehicle merges in front of me then quickly merges over one more lane. Was the vehicle close? Yeah... but is it really necessary to slam on the brakes for me? It would be nice if I could work toward getting all the driver assist stuff disabled over time. Like 1 year without any alerts or something. Make it tough to earn it, but at least make it possible and something to look forward to.
    - I understand being governed. I have no complaints about our 63mph speed limit. However, sometimes it gets in the way. If I could have the temporary ability to go just a little faster, that would be awesome.
    - Driver coaching. I don't have a dash cam in my truck. So I haven't experienced it yet. I realize it probably benefits the company as a whole. But drivers are already under a federal microscope. I don't think it's fair to be looking over my shoulder telling me my mistakes when I can't do the same to you. This goes back to my first negative point of "more drivers means more rules". I wish there was a "second class" or "graduation" where you can prove yourself and earn the right to have a "less automated" and "less governance and monitored" truck. Don't group me with the masses. If I prove myself to be responsible, then allow me the opportunity to separate myself from "the rules for the masses". I understand if you "do nothing wrong" then you won't be coached. But not having computer assisting mechanisms and restrictions on my truck would give me a "next level" sense of pride. But I get it... the bigger we get, the more "automations" we need on our trucks to keep us drivers in check so the business can keep growing. It's an unfortunate reality we have to live with.

I still really like working here. I have pondered... and pondered... and pondered again the idea of buying my own truck and leasing to Magnum or even somewhere else. I'm always on the lookout for "something new". But there are so many good things about this place. It was more difficult for me to try and think of negative things to list. I am generally in a good mood most of the time. So that says a lot. This is the longest I've kept one job since I got out of the Marines in 2012. So that says a lot too!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Zata40

Zata40 Road Train Member

Jun 6, 2016
    Northeast Illinois
    On another note... headed to Maryland! Should be an interesting trip with the weather forecast and all...

4. Ray Strack

Ray Strack Medium Load Member

Oct 13, 2017
    Zata, you should go tanker for sure since you want to unload yourself because the accessory pay. Tanker is an interest of mine as well, in fact if I did OTR long term, it'd have to be tanker but everyone has a preference, that or LTL running doubles.

Curious, where do you park your trailer and truck on home time? My go to doesnt allow it anymore so Im paying $20 a day to drop my trailer and bobtail home. As long as the truck doesnt crack my driveway not the worse thing. Plan B is take home time in kzoo, and drive my car to Detroit.

Zata40 Thanks this.
  5. Zata40

Zata40 Road Train Member

Jun 6, 2016
    Northeast Illinois
    My previous employer. It’s a family friend’s business. I would hook you up, but they share a parking lot with another business who doesn’t like me parking there. My friend sticks his head out and ignores complaints since I’m out of the way and I don’t park on “their half” of the lot. Just sort of an awkward situation. I don’t expect it to last forever.

6. Ray Strack

Ray Strack Medium Load Member

Oct 13, 2017
    My neighbor hooked me up with my last spot. He does long haul but even he has to find a new place now. He paid $100 a month to reserve his spot. Guess the flying J in woodhaven is as good as it gets unless I do plan b.

7. Zata40

Zata40 Road Train Member

Jun 6, 2016
    Northeast Illinois
    I do have a plan B in Madison Heights... I think $150 per month... not sure about that... charges me $100 minimum for a few days.

8. supersnackbar

supersnackbar Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    If you like the option of some physical activity with the load, and thought about flatbed, once you hit 2 years experience, come on over and haul glass. Enough physical activity to sweat a little, but nowhere near as tough as regular flatbed....and the best part, no lumpers and no grocery warehouses. Plus, this company is micro-management free as well.

Winnyf1 and Zata40 Thank this.
  9. Zata40

Zata40 Road Train Member

Jun 6, 2016
    Northeast Illinois
    Do they have a location in Michigan?

10. supersnackbar

supersnackbar Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    We have deliveries around Michigan. I have delivered NW of Detroit, and up in Fenton. And we have several other places I have seen in the load rack.

11. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Who owns the lot?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.