Maximum front trailer weights with different tractors (pulling doubles).

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by ColoradoLinehaul, Oct 31, 2021.

1. ColoradoLinehaul

ColoradoLinehaul Light Load Member

Jul 11, 2021
    Colorado
    yes. The twin screw daycab driver meets a single screw day cab driver.

jmz Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ColoradoLinehaul

ColoradoLinehaul Light Load Member

Jul 11, 2021
    Colorado
    How is that possible that a single screw can scale a front trailer at 26,000 lbs, if the axle is only good for 20,000?

https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/CFR-2013-title23-vol1/pdf/CFR-2013-title23-vol1-part658.pdf

643F43FE-AA15-4969-A7D3-85BB61519118.png

I was looking at the GVWR on a 2019 Freightliner Cascadia single screw day cab and it was only 65,000 lbs.

2019 Freightliner Twin Screw, Day Cab
    Front Axle Capacity: 12,000 lbs.
    Rear Axle Capacity: 40,000 lbs.
    Fuel Capacity: 200 Gallons (100L/100R)
    GVWR: 80,000 lbs.
    Curb Weight: 19,xxx lbs.

2019 Freightliner Single Screw, Day Cab
    Front Axle Capacity: 12,000 lbs.
    Rear Axle Capacity: 23,000 lbs.
    Fuel Capacity: 190 Gallons (90L/100R)
    GVWR: 65,000 lbs.
    Curb Weight: 16,6xx lbs.

I think I’m more confused now than I was when I originally asked the question.

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  4. lester

lester Midwest's #1 Feed Hauler

Jan 2, 2012
    NW, Iowa
    The entire 26000 lbs of the front trailer is not going to be on the single axle of the truck. It will add some weight to the steer axle and the rear axle of that trailer will also be carrying some of the load. When in doubt run across a scale

5. jmz

jmz Road Train Member

Mar 9, 2018
    Great Plains
    And just to clarify, in case this part isn’t obvious, the twin screw can have up to 34k on the drives. So if he picks up a set that scaled at 20k on a single screw but is 22k on a twin, it’s fine as long as that extra 2k doesn’t put the set over gross.

6. Mad Frenchman

Mad Frenchman Light Load Member

Jan 8, 2014
    Texas
    If you have a single screw and pull a long van 48 or more..
    Do no have a load over 12000 Lbs within the first 10 feet (space between beam rails) of the nose, or that will put you over on the axle. (found that out via a trooper, you look heavy .. was over 200 lbs - 3 skids of concrete in the middle-ish of the trailer but more toward the nose)

Pups can be loaded up to 24K - Vans i wouldn't go over 39K (spreading the load more toward the ###)

my tractor and empty pup sit about 20600 lbs (scale weight)
    my tractor and empty van sit around 26450 lbs (scale weight)

That will depend on the tractor you drive and if you have a lift but it gives you a ball park. Good information to know if you have weight restricted roads/bridges

Attached Files:

MACK E-6 and LPjunior1970 Thank this.
  7. Russian Rabbit

Russian Rabbit Road Train Member

Jan 3, 2016
    i'm not sure i understand the question, but wouldn't the metal tag on the front of the trailer list MAX GVWR?

The heaviest front trailer i've had was a little over 27,000lbs. We, or at least I, in my region, averaged about 10,000lbs per trailer.

MACK E-6 and Bean Jr. Thank this.
  8. jollygreendoc

jollygreendoc Bobtail Member

Nov 28, 2008
    WI
    Here is hopefully what you are looking for.

A single axle day cab is roughly 17,000lbs. With a 28ft pup weighing in at roughly 9,000 lbs. This combo can scale 12k,20k and 20k, or 52k total.

52k minus tare weight of 26k means you can haul an estimated weight of 25k in freight. IF.... it scales perfect.

Add 2k more in tare weight for that twin axle, your unladen combo now weighs 28k. HOWEVER... the twin axle gives you an additional capacity of 14k more hauling capacity(12k,34k and 20K) for 66K.

The problem with a twin screw driver meeting a single screw driver is that the dock doesn't have to worry on how to load the pup. They just shove freight in and try to keep it under 22K gross freight weight (the recommended weight so we can haul 2 pups at 22K each, or 44k total). The twin screw driver will almost never be overweight on the tail. They just load it until it's full or grossed out. That is the problem.

And when you haul a 48ft or 53ft van, the problem is compounded. You add an extra axle to the rear of the van for 34k, but the front remains the same. 20k for a single screw, 34k for a twin screw. Unless you load that van very light in the front, and total (32k for a single screw and 44k for a twin screw), the single screw will seldom be legal.

So, why does UPGF/TForce Freight run mostly single axles? Costs... and maneuverability in the city. Seldom is the van too heavy while doing P&D, since city drivers usually outnumber night drivers 2-1 or 3-1. You're also not scrubbing off the tires from the 2nd axle on a twin screw because of the short turning radius.

It becomes a problem at night however, for terminals that have a lot of rail vans and cans(connex boxes, whatever you call them).

I can guarantee you, with 80% accuracy or more, that when you see a UPGF/TForce single axle pulling a tandem van/connex at night, they are over axle on that single screw. Especially if they don't have any scales to cross.

How do I know? 10+ years of this weekly battle with this company.

Sorry if some of you fell asleep during this explanation. Trying to be thorough.

9. PatrickBall

PatrickBall Bobtail Member

Dec 14, 2021
    I have a question....i have a linehaul FedEx operation (new to it) and i need to add a truck for a 500 mile solo day trip hauling either doubles or a 53. Looking at a day cab DD15 and wonder how you like running a day cab with doubles??? I have guys that hate the day cabs but of course there not looking at 180k bill!!! Any advice?

10. jgarciajr40

jgarciajr40 Medium Load Member

Jun 18, 2016
    I would just avoid the situation and steal a twin screw from the barn.

I drive a single axle doing P+D, but doing Linehaul I just take a twin screw better safe to be sorry because you never really know if some idiot loaded tile all on one side or if a pallet shifts in transit.

I’d recommend avoiding the whole situation; grab a twin screw. I’d imagine most of management at any competent terminal would tell you the same.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2021
  11. jgarciajr40

jgarciajr40 Medium Load Member

Jun 18, 2016
    just get a longer wheel base daycab? What do they hate the ride?

daycab is always superior in my opinion: rear window, easier to u-turn, you can almost jack knife in areas were you would destroy your fender flairs if you had a sleeper

ColoradoLinehaul and jmz Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.