My first couple months with Shaffer / Crete

Discussion in 'Refrigerated Trucking Forum' started by Farmerbob1, Jun 25, 2017.

1. ilikepizza247

ilikepizza247 Light Load Member

Jun 10, 2016
    The only thing I know about DHT is the color of their equipment and that they have a terminal in Nogales Arizona, where I used to go for a load of Mexican orange juice once in a while when I worked for Indian River. You’d drop your tank at a drop yard, a Mexican truck would take it somewhere on the other side of the border, load it up, and bring it back. If you were lucky, your tank was picked up and returned back to you in the same day. If you weren’t lucky, it would take several days. The first 48 hours were free. After that you got layover pay. I hated going down there. I’ll take any border town in Texas (except for maybe Brownsville) over Nogales any day of the week.

Zaros, Steel Dragon and Farmerbob1 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ilikepizza247

Jun 10, 2016
    At least when I picked up loaded tankers near the border they always had all their parts, nothing had been stolen or replaced, and they still had the same tires on em that they had when they were dropped off. Rarely ever got that lucky with dry vans.

Steel Dragon Thanks this.
  4. ilikepizza247

Jun 10, 2016
    Question. Does Crete/Shaffer allow you to choose your own routing and fuel stops or do they have a fuel solution you have to follow? Only rule about fuel that my last company had was that we had to fuel at either pilot or flying J. It didn’t matter which ones.

5. Farmerbob1

Farmerbob1 Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2017
    I answered in the other thread where I saw you ask this question.

Just got done rolling a 3800 mile week. WA to IL to MN to SD and then to MS. Now it's time to take a 34.

6. ilikepizza247

Jun 10, 2016
    Nice. I’m considering switching to the reefer side. Reefer is where I got most of my experience, it pays better than dry side, and from what I hear, the miles aren’t as high on the reefer side. Not much lower, but lower. Running 300-400 fewer miles a week than the dry side while making the same money is right up my alley, if in fact that’s what’s going on.

I was approved for orientation in Lenoir City TN. I start March 5. I’ll be calling my recruiter tomorrow to ask what my starting rate would be in both divisions along with some other questions.

Farmerbob1 Thanks this.
  7. Farmerbob1

Jan 17, 2017
    Other than the occasional oddball load, I have always hauled reefer. It may be a little more work to get the same miles, but there is more pay. 3 cents more per mile might not sound like a lot, but its almost 6%.

If only I could get the loads to run 3800 miles every week!

8. ilikepizza247

Jun 10, 2016
    What has been your weekly average mileage wise?

9. Farmerbob1

Jan 17, 2017
    If you discount my first month and November when I screwed around and tried to roll 9 hours every day, close to 3000. If you do count those two months, around 2800.

That's paid miles, of course. Actual miles are a bit higher because I do try to route around high traffic cities during daylight hours, when I can.

10. ilikepizza247

Jun 10, 2016
    Been out west at all in that short time?

11. Farmerbob1

Jan 17, 2017
    Some. I left home time with a load going from Georgia to Washington, then came out of Washington to Illinois and back into Minnesota and South Dakota before heading to Missisippi.

Probably 2/3 of my miles are east of the Mississippi, typically.

That said, remember that Crete / Shaffer do not have dedicated OTR planners. When you are within a region, the planner for that region plans you. I strongly suspect that planners also make an effort to send drivers back towards their home regions whenever possible. Since I am based in Marietta, that means that I gravitate towards the East.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.