Need info on Oakley transportation

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by Sapphire_Glitter, Oct 11, 2022.

1. lual

lual Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2020
    SW Georgia
    @Sapphire_Glitter --

FAIR WARNING: The tanker training at Oakley Transport (for the pump-off process) is VER-RY SHORT.

They basically do it as if you had pretty much learned this skill set elsewhere.

I speak from first-hand experience.

If you're not already familiar with/comfortable doing a PTO from a tanker trailer, then I cannot in all honesty encourage you to go next to Oakley Transport.

Get this skill set elsewhere--first.

What large city/state are you nearest? What tanker work have you already done?

Maybe we can make some other recommendations for you, and save you from making a potentially big mistake.

--Lual

Sapphire_Glitter and UturnGirl Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Sapphire_Glitter

Sapphire_Glitter Bobtail Member

Oct 16, 2021
    Im in central Florida north of St Pete/Tampa, I only have experience driving tanker, nothing with a pump even equipped, don't currently have hazmat and where I'm at now was the best pay for tanker that met all my requirements for a job and that didn't require prior tank experience or hazmat, not looking to do daycab work or regional so doing fuel was pretty much out of the question and there has to be a terminal close to where I live because it would be illogical to pay for truck parking because I can't park anywhere near home that would run me $150-$200 to go on home time (I usually go home between 5-7 days after 30+ out)

My reason at looking towards Oakley is the money and that I heard it's pretty good treatment

My only concern is I can do and learn everything if given any remotely decent instructions, it's mostly wether or not they're gonna try to work me like a dog and be ignorant and never give me a break constantly recapping or leave me sit for days with 30+ hours on my clock I've left other companies for both those reasons plus many of these other companies for tanker want uniform, have driver facing camera, low govern speed or pay

Definitely need something paying 68cpm+ or around a $1800+ a week garuntee that is going to treat me right (from what I figured Oakley is going to put me around $2400-$3000 a week pay range which is around what I'm looking for)

I definitely like tanker a lot more than van and definitely don't want to go back to reefer which is why I was looking at more tanker companies and have been told for being in central Florida Oakley was the best bet, I was even told and based on what I've researched they're better than Indian River that wanted 2 years experience

Last edited: Oct 12, 2022
  4. Sapphire_Glitter

Oct 16, 2021
    Also kinda looking for a more or less forever home or at least something I want to stay at for more than a year that doesn't turn out being a total waste of time because they're ignorant/leave me sit or I lose out making money

5. lual

lual Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2020
    SW Georgia
    @Sapphire_Glitter --

I also did reefer before I switched over to tanker....so yes, I empathize with why you'd want to stay in the tanker world!!! :)

Veteran tip: Oakley promises the big bucks (in part, at least) because a lot of their loads are booze loads going into, and back out of, Canada.

They also carry some sort of orange/citrus peel extract (I think that's correct) which is actually more dangerous than gasoline--it's extremely flammable.

Note also....both of the above load types are indeed hazmat loads--even though they are both also "food-grade".

There's good money in booze (some people are willing to pay very good money for good bourbon/scotch, etc). In milk? Not so much.

Before you sign up with Oakley....let me introduce you to a couple of other opportunities that I think will pay you the same (or more), train you MUCH BETTER.......and allow you to park your rig at a nearby terminal (as needed).

UP-FRONT NOTICE: Before pursuing any of these (including Oakley)--finish getting your hazmat. Also--get a TWIC. If you don't already have a US passport--get one. Note too, that I have no affiliations/connections with any of the following....just passing on info that I have been exposed to before. NO kickbacks.

Option1)

Based on the info you've provided thus far--I think you could well be a "shoe-in" for the so-called "relocation program" over at Venezia Transport (they hire drivers out of your area for this position):

Description:
    Are you an adventurous driver looking for growth in your career? You could be a great fit for our driver relocation program! In this program, Venezia will provide transportation, to one of our Northeast locations to do 4 weeks of OTR work.

At the end of the 4 weeks, Venezia will provide transportation back to your home state with a minimum of $8000 in pay for the month and a full week of home time to top it all off!

Position Overview:
    • Guaranteed $2000 Weekly Minimum
    • We are offering a limited time $10,000 Sign on BONUS for prior tanker experience ($7,000 for no tanker experience)
    • Excellent Benefits Available w/ in 30 Days (Medical, Vision, and Dental)
    • One week of Home Time Every 4 Weeks

Position Details:

• This is an OTR Tanker Driver Position
    • All Miles Paid Practical- Each Stop Paid (Loading and Unloading)
    • No prior Tanker experience? No Problem, paid training offered
    • Must be willing to run to Western Canada from Pittsburgh, NJ & Chicago as needed
    • Drivers must remain flexible to work for any division licensed for
    • Program is at Management’s discretion, drivers who cannot consistently perform to expectations may be removed from the program

Schedule:

• Must be willing to stay out for 4 weeks of OTR (Flying back to your home state on the 28th day)
    • Return to your home state for one week of home time
    • Return North on the 7th day to continue work
    • 10 Hours of Paid travel time there and back

Benefits:
    • Medical, Vision, and Dental
    • Safety Bonus
    • Paid Vacation / Holidays
    • No Slip Seating
    • Company Paid Life Insurance
    • Short/Long Term Disability

Company Culture:

• Venezia is family-owned and operated, which means that every driver that runs with us is a part of that family.
    • We take action to ensure equal opportunity for all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or other legally protected characteristic.
    ---------
    @Dave1837 here on the Forum currently drives for them--and can probably answer at least some of your questions. He seems pretty happy there, too.

Option 2)

This one is well worth checking out, based on positive feedback I've gotten elsewhere. What's also cool about this one is they have some southern cross-country routes/lanes, so you could do some real driving out west, if you like. Fleet size is probably about the same as Oakley. Nearest terminal for you with them is Tampa:

Locations – Andrews Logistics

Good luck, Driver. :salute:

--Lual

Tadakatsu and Dave1837 Thank this.
  6. MartinFromBC

MartinFromBC Road Train Member

Oct 19, 2018
    Pumping off isn't hard at all.
    Once they show you once, you'll be fine.

7. Dave1837

Dave1837 Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2019
    Pennsylvania
    Referring to what @lual posted, I just talked to on of our drivers a few weeks ago at our main terminal in limerick PA. They fly him from his home in FL to PA and he runs from Jersey to Canada for 4 weeks and then they fly him home for a week. He was very happy.I make around $1800/week and that's off about 2,200 miles, home every weekend. They leave you alone here too, real easy going in my opinion

Tadakatsu Thanks this.
  8. Sapphire_Glitter

Oct 16, 2021
    My only worry is I have a lot of trouble navigating the northeast, I don't know where anything is or alternate routes. Not even where many truck stops are, I always get stressed driving up there because if my GPS can't direct me I'm literally lost

I can navigate anywhere else in the country and know many cities well but northeast has given me a lot of stress to just start driving only that I'd have to think about it

9. Dave1837

Dave1837 Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2019
    Pennsylvania
    If I go to a new place, anywhere, I call dispatch and ask if another driver can call me and give me directions. Done it several times and it's never failed me. Or come on here and ask

RockinChair Thanks this.
  10. lual

lual Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2020
    SW Georgia
    @Sapphire_Glitter --

If you have found yourself to be "directionally challenged"....that's ok.

At least you had the courage to admit it--& I admire you for that. :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :wav:

If that's the case, here's my newer recommendations:

1) While you're busy getting that hazmat, TWIC, and passport--spend some ample time here on the Forum, and look at/study different threads that talk about GPS options and GPS-related phone apps. Learn to develop a navigation plan A, & a plan B--for every trip. I always look at each of my deliveries (and the streets/roads leading up to it) on Google Maps (using the overhead satelllite views), and make sure my final destination location point is in total agreement from each GPS source--otherwise, sooner or later, you will get led astray (been there, done that).

@Dave1837's suggestion (see post above) will help, too.

To a younger person, this is probably shocking advice: buy yourself a Trucker's Randy McNally Atlas--and learn how to use it. There's lots of valuable info for trucking in there that you won't find/get on Google Maps.

2) It sounds like this next job will in fact be your first true OTR trucking job--so.....to build up your confidence level in your navigational abilities, and also start off with a carrier you can stay with--I suggest you ignore/forget ALL the above discussed job options. Instead--start off with Indian River Transport, and run the southeastern US with them (check out this SE job posting--you'll also need to scroll down after it opens, to really see it):

Indian River Transport Company

The southeast will....generally speaking...be more forgiving if you make a navigational mistake....than the northeast or the upper midwest. Overnite parking options are generally not as tough to find in the southeast, either (except most inner city and metro areas).

Later....as your confidence and skiill levels go up....you can move on up to run OTR-48 with Indian River--and also do loads into Canada with them, as well.

With Indian River--a lot of their deliveries apparently don't involve a driver pump off. You can later learn that with them, if you like (see the following thread, for details--starting at post #1232)--it would appear from this info that the near future is probably a great time to join up with them:

Indian River | Page 124 | TruckersReport.com Trucking Forum | #1 CDL Truck Driver Message Board (thetruckersreport.com)
    ------

NEWBIE ALERT (based on personal, first-hand experience):

To do tanker duty at Oakley, you must learn their pump-off procedure, step-by-step. With all due respect--it's not just a "see it once--and you've got it down cold" situation. It's pretty detailed, actually....and specfic to Oakley's own way of doing things. The pump-offs at my current employer are actually much less detailed, and simpler.

If you're not much mechanically inclined....if you've not the plumber type.....if you haven't previously worked some with pumps, valves...and large, long hoses.....the learning curve for all this will probably be short--and rather steep.

If you don't get their pump-off procedures 100% right, and pretty quickly....you wash out......and then....<<gulp>>....off you go....to their reefer division. :confused:

I wouldn't wish that fate upon my worst enemy. :eek:

Virtually 100% of your reefer deliveries will very likely be up in the northeast. Better bring your navigational "A game" with you--ALL of the time. :oops:

You've already expressed how you feel about reefer duty....but.....if the above is a chance that you're willing to take....then go ahead, and sign up with Oakley.

If you then don't get a good trainer there--may God have mercy on your soul. :(

--Lual

11. Sapphire_Glitter

Oct 16, 2021
    I already know I can't join Indian River because they require 2 years experience not to mention I'm constantly at the same places they are and they make the Indian River drivers go pop off the product while they have to unload me there's a select few Indian River tanks however that do not have a pump equipped but those are rare I wouldn't work for them anyways because I can't get any information hardly off of their drivers their tank washes are lazy and take five plus hours to do a simple tank Wash and I can't even get their recruiting department or anywhere else to answer the phone so Indian River I would never work for them simply because they can't even carry themselves and on top of that the one driver I spoke to said he's only getting 62 cents per mile I can get that anywhere else and better pay than that almost anywhere else so Indian River is a definite no unless they make drastic changes which anyway I can't work for them because the two-year requirements

I spoke with one of Oakley's drivers and he was one of their million mile drivers their pumps are no different than anyone else's and utilize the same procedure as everyone else he said if you can pump off anywhere else you can pump off at Oakley there is nothing special said that only pertains to dry bulk not liquid which I'm doing liquid and have nothing to do with the dry bulk

and I'm not hurting for money

even if Oakley were to declines me and try to get me to go to the reefer division I would decline the job I'm not that desperate for money that I'll just listen to whatever they have to say because I know their reefer division is only in the 55-60cent per mile range which like again I can make better than that

And as far as regional goes I have no interest in regional that's not why I got into driving if anything the southeast is the second place I hate to drive pretty much anywhere east of the Mississippi I don't like driving I'm far more familiar without West and can pretty much find my way anywhere without a map in western us and on top of the fact I would never work for a Southeast region company that didn't have a terminal out west because I'm planning to move to Vegas at some point and Oakley has a terminal/drop yard in California so it would work out

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.