Random LTL Rants (all are welcomed)

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by road_runner, Jun 21, 2013.

1. road_runner

road_runner Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2012
    Montucky
    Went to the shop yesterday to turn in a truck for maintenance and noticed the Estes yard had some new additions to their equipment. It's kinda bitter sweet to be honest. On one side it cumulates over a decade spent at Reddaway and Holland. On the other hand, I am actually in a far less stressful work environment and things are looking up.

The overall sentiment of many of my former colleagues that are fanned out over the country is that we are all anxiously waiting for our W2's to show up. We are all ready to close this chapter of our lives so we never have to deal with anything related to Yellow again. It is almost like waiting for your divorce papers to come in.

C'est la vie

20240125_114124.jpg

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. LTL Bull

LTL Bull Road Train Member

Mar 12, 2020
    I understand. Used to feel similar bittersweet nostalgia when I’d see an old Carolina Freight Carriers Corporation truck or trailer either sitting or tagged with an ABF sign over the CFCC logo. Feel a twinge when I see a Consolidated Freightways unit as well but that was a dumpster fire when I was there so not as much nostalgia as seeing a CFCC unit

Old_n_gray and road_runner Thank this.
  4. Old_n_gray

Old_n_gray Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2016
    western pa
    We still have some old Carolina trailers that we use for storage.

LTL Bull Thanks this.
  5. Digman943

Digman943 Medium Load Member

Mar 17, 2016
    You need to get another LTL job because I miss your posts! lol Glad things are looking up for you!

road_runner, MACK E-6, jmz and 3 others Thank this.
  6. Texas_hwy_287

Texas_hwy_287 Road Train Member

Sep 25, 2016
    Texas
    While driving I saw a yellow tractor trailer heading southbound ain't no telling if the equipment is going to Estes or Ritchies bro auction.

Seeing this it's a bitter sweet as I think of all folks who lost their jobs and also the yellow drivers who I used to run into while doing my route. 20240205_213202.jpg 20240205_213146.jpg

Speed_Drums, LTL Bull and road_runner Thank this.
  7. road_runner

road_runner Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2012
    Montucky
    You know, for the past few years when going to work at Holland I always passed this one yard that had an old CF trailer sitting behind their fence that was presumably used for storage. I always thought to myself "what if those trailer walls could talk". You know, the places it has been to? The blood, sweat, and tears that went into loading and unloading the inside. And how it sucked in the mid 2000's or so when they just shut down their doors and just like that thousands of people were without work.

That's going to be a bunch of us for the next few decades when we pass an old Yellow/Holland/Reddaway trailer. Now it's going to be our equipment dotting the back of people's yards and all that blood sweat and tears that we put in will be filled with people's rubbish or winter equipment when it's not snowing.

Circle of LTL life. It's like walking past an abandoned Toys-R-Us that is being converted into a temporary Spirit Halloween. I am glad it is done and over with. I moved on to something better. But I can't help but wonder what happened to my truck. I wish I could have bought it. If was just an old 2006 International with 1.4 million miles on it.

8. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    I still see NEMF equipment hauling mail on a regular basis.

9. FLHT

FLHT Road Train Member

Aug 2, 2014
    Post Office has been seeing a few of their bigger mail contractors shuttering their operations.

Texas_hwy_287 and LTL Bull Thank this.
  10. jgarciajr40

jgarciajr40 Medium Load Member

Jun 18, 2016
    we had a large dedicated company take the contracts from the smaller fleet owners in my town.

I forget the name, but they drive yellow truck(high lighter yellow), and sometimes matching trailers with black font. Well, they underbid everyone and I guess realized it wasn’t profitable and left.

my local usps hub looks like they throw it on a load board now because I’ve even seen Werner pulling for them and tons of randoms

the yellow company I see a lot in Jacksonville, but for the likes of me I can’t name em.

10-roads express. They no longer exist in my neck of the woods.

11. Gearjammin' Penguin

Gearjammin' Penguin "Ride Fast-Truck Safe"

Feb 18, 2007
    Central AZ
    Central Transport?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.