Right Trailer for the Truck

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by overdrive746, Oct 25, 2023.

1. overdrive746

overdrive746 Bobtail Member

Feb 14, 2020
    I have a 2023 GMC Sierra 2500 HD 6.6L gas
    What is a good trailer size to do a little hot shotting whether it be bumper pull or gooseneck?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Hayfieldmn

Hayfieldmn Light Load Member

Sep 10, 2016
    Didn't know they made a 6.6l gas engine.

4. Sons Hero

Sons Hero Road Train Member

Jan 8, 2021
    Indiana
    Yeah they added that engine in 2021? I’ve heard they pull ok, my personal opinion is that they will be awful thirsty though. As far as original question, trailer size will really have to depend on what you want to haul… sheets of foam board, or several small campers? 40’ with a hydraulic dovetail. Man lifts, and other small equipment, 20’ tilt top skid loader trailer. Neighbor man’s Lawn Boy, folding trailer from Harbor Freight. Gravel for your landscaper buddy, 14’ dump trailer. Steers for the sale barn, 16-20’ cattle trailer. And if you aren’t going to be hauling heavy, get a bumper pull, they trail your truck a little better, and can be easier to manuver if you don’t have much experience.

5. roundhouse

roundhouse Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2018
    My 2016 2500 4wd crew cab with the 6.0 gasser gets about 7 or 8 when towing , usually a 18 or 20 foot enclosed cargo trailer or a flatbed with a mini excavator or a skid steer .

you will need to be careful of the GVWR on the truck and trailer

you’re gonna need a ELD logbook and a DOT medical card .

join a drug testing consortium etc

Sons Hero Thanks this.
  6. Sons Hero

Sons Hero Road Train Member

Jan 8, 2021
    Indiana
    If you don’t have CDL, get it. You will need it for any out of state hauling. Shouldn’t have a problem, but 1 of my brothers got grounded in OH hauling a load of our inventory with our 15 2500HD and 20’ cargo trailer. Out of state when he was 20, I had to go rescue the truck… Never even knew that was an issue, but we do now!

7. Judge

Judge Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Arkansas
    Sometimes laws are weird depending on officer.
    I know a guy who owned his own diesel pickup and a gooseneck racecar trailer, hauled his car, and raced his car, got stopped and wrote a ticket because he didn’t have a cdl, not hauling for hire.
    Now he’s got “Not for Hire” put on there, But i’m waiting on another to write him another ticket.

Sons Hero Thanks this.
  8. Espressolane

Espressolane Road Train Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Just south of the north 40
    Most people may not be aware that something like hauling a race car requires a dot number and appropriate licenses. While some may claim that it is a hobby, the fact that most pay prize money, it is considered a for profit business. That makes the hauler set up a commercial vehicle in several states.

9. Judge

Judge Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Arkansas
    But he doesn’t leave the state, so another dot requirement used to be operating in more than one state.
    Hit him for no med card or no operating authority

Sons Hero Thanks this.
  10. HotshotGene

HotshotGene Bobtail Member

Oct 28, 2023
    Arkansas
    I've got a 2021 Chevy Silverado 2500 diesel. I pulled a 44' straight deck gooseneck all over the Western US. It pulled great. (It's for sale, LOL) A lot depends on what you want to haul. I have a class A CDL (you need one for that size) and I hauled fiberglass fuel lines from Little Rock AR. to Sacramento CA. and Corrugated PVC pipes from there all over. I pulled into a construction site in Phoenix AZ. with the black PVC Corrugated pipe, and two semi-trucks were ahead of me with the exact same load, that got a chuckle out of the construction crew. Don't skimp on tools or equipment, shop around and you will find what you need. Mine is a 44' straight deck, with no ramps, electric over hydraulic breaks, torque bar the length of the trailer, 12,000 lb axles, I never had any trouble.

Attached Files:

PNwMtFlwr and kemosabi49 Thank this.
  11. GrumpyJoe

GrumpyJoe Light Load Member

Oct 8, 2019
    Your truck is rated for 14,500 as a bumper pull and 16.5-18.5 as a gooseneck. So take away 4-6000 for the trailer weight and you have an idea how much you can haul. with 10,000 - 12,500 as your target loads I would look at oversized on a bumper pull as it can have a lower deck avoiding permits on height. You can still find back hauls that meet the weights. I see a lot of AC units behind 2500 trucks. Anything longer than 24 feet will probably weigh too much and limit what you can haul. Look for what is available near home or enroute to places you would want to visit. JMHO

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.