Running with JCT, Part Deux

Discussion in 'John Christner' started by drloveofdfw, Feb 13, 2014.

1. daant1

daant1 Bobtail Member

Dec 12, 2018
    San Antonio, Texas
    I was invited the the round table next Thursday. Just not sure if I want to give up miles for this Opportunity. I did get in to motion the possibly of the extra pay for all loads coming out of the PNW. Will let you all know how that goes.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Kamkor

Kamkor Road Train Member

Jan 18, 2012
    Wellington, TX
    Should see also about getting paid for pickups past one. The whole 6 pick requirement is stupid. I've never had more than 4 and picks generally take longer than drops...sometimes with more headaches...

Jarhed1964 Thanks this.
  4. drvrtech77

drvrtech77 Road Train Member

Mar 20, 2010
    I bet jct charges for multiple stops after one pick or drop..

Kamkor and scottied67 Thank this.
  5. Kamkor

Kamkor Road Train Member

Jan 18, 2012
    Wellington, TX
    So after getting my NASTC program set up, and getting access to the pricing, so far what I'm discovering is that my normal "Go To" fuel stops that I've kind of collected throughout the years are either A. Non NASTC and beat or match them or B. Already heavily discounted to the point the NASTC discount only shaves a couple pennies off.

Of course its way too early to tell as I just got access and ran up to the PNW and back again, but just looking at Wyoming, pricing across the state on NASTC was in the 2.98-3.05 range and AKAL in Laramie was 2.87. Oregon Space Age was 2.71 on EFS and 2.70 NASTC with Arrowhead comming in at 2.69 NASTC and 2.78 EFS.

Sitting in Amarillo Petro is Cash 3.05 NASTC 2.78 but HANA down the street is 2.79 EFS.

I mean the valid argument is that you get more generally at a Petro/TA (Points, Showers, eventually more with UltraCredits) that offsets some of the cost. And thats true when the spread is tight, like Amarillo. But when the spread is wide and non major, you could buy a shower out of pocket and still come out ahead.

I'm hoping that this is just because pricing is rising, and that when prices fall, the spread between sign and cost +2 widens as stores try to make back money on the increased margins (Up like a rocket, down like a feather).

Otherwise, NASTC may be my "Oh Crap" card, like if I have to swap or something and it throws my fuel planning out of whack and into higher prices with empty tanks.

I mean, yeah Nearly 35 cents off a gallon in Arizona on i40 looks amazing (and is) until you see your normal stop is only being beaten by 3 cents....

Though I mean, if you were DEDICATED to the cause, once you hit 1500 gallons at TA, you could Theoretically earn 420.00 a month in Ultra Credits (One credit a day, at the 14$ a meal credit) and if you're Platinum UltraOne, 840. (Because you can earn and use 2 a day). Basically eat 2 out of 3 meals a day there, every day except the days you use a shower or parking credit....thats like 10K a year....not counting just the basic points...

Though you'd lose a lot of productivity in the bathroom after each meal...just sayin...

6. daant1

daant1 Bobtail Member

Dec 12, 2018
    San Antonio, Texas
    I just signed up for nastc so like you let's see how it goes. I wish and I am trying to get JCT to let us do our own fuel taxes.. at Pam Transport we could do are own fuel taxes and I was getting 500.00 to 600.00 back every quarter. That is how to pad your bottom line.

7. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    There's no profit in fuel taxes. You either pay at the pump or pay at the end of the quarter, either way, the government is getting theirs.

Jarhed1964 Thanks this.
  8. Kamkor

Kamkor Road Train Member

Jan 18, 2012
    Wellington, TX

Profit, no. Clawback of expenses paid, yeah.

Though that would take a level of dedication I don't have yet to work my fueling for best application of IFTA. I'm lazy in the whole "I want lowest price who cares about behind the scenes taxing." thing.

Though it does say in the contract JCT is supposed to send us a statement on how our IFTA was applied...

Jarhed1964 Thanks this.
  9. Steel Tiger

Steel Tiger Road Train Member

Jun 6, 2012
    Orlando, FL
    Those of you still driving at JCT are fortunate. JCT pays your IFTA, so whenever you but fuel, you look for the lowest cash price. And that's the end of it. JCT picks up the tab for taxes.

Now if you had to pay your own IFTA, you'd spend more money because it's an additional expense. There isn't a refund or rebate on IFTA. You pay taxes on every mile you run in every state.
    If you run 1000 miles in Oklahoma and I run 1000 miles in Oklahoma, JCT and I are paying the same rate, which currently is $0.19/ gallon.
    The difference in the total amount we pay is based upon fuel consumption.

If you run at 7 MPG, for 1000 miles, that's 142.8 gallons at $0.19 or $27.13 total.

If I run at 8 MPG fire 1000 miles, that's 125 gallons and a total of $23.75.

Whether you file IFTA monthly or quarterly, if you get a refund, that simply means you overpaid at the pump and vice versa if you have to pay. Either pay it at the pump or pay it when you file; it doesn't matter, you're still paying... YOUR money. It's the same concept s filling you indulge taxes: a refund means you paid too much throughout the year, having to pay Uncle Sam means you didn't pay enough.

You can't make any additional money when you're the one responsible for paying IFTA.

Jarhed1964 and scottied67 Thank this.
  10. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    Finishing the sentence, JCT pays the IFTA, with the drivers' money. At compensation of $1.05 a mile, the drivers are effectively paying for everything at that yard, mechanics, trailers, fuel for those trailers, maint on those trailers, driver managers' salaries, the electric bill at the yard, the property taxes, all the rental for the drop yards, just everything.

It is all paid for out of the difference JCT is able to negotiate to move freight above $1.05 a mile. Don't ever think they are paying for all these things out of the kindness of their heart. The entire business is paid for by the drivers indirectly directly.

Agreeing with Steel Tiger, there is no way to game IFTA. It is ether paid up front or paid on the back end; it is a zero sum game.

Jarhed1964 and Steel Tiger Thank this.
  11. Steel Tiger

Steel Tiger Road Train Member

Jun 6, 2012
    Orlando, FL
    There are 3 things you can do to lower ifta 3 liability.
    1. Increase overall fuel economy.
    2. Drive in only low IFTA states (not realistic)
    3. Don't drive.

And to follow up on JCT paying for everything from the difference of $1.05 to negotiated rate, you guys should have full time masseurs, free gourmet buffet dining and very highly paid office staff and shop personnel.

Jarhed1964 and scottied67 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.