Shipper holding your license until your get the BOL?

Discussion in 'Shippers & Receivers - Good or Bad' started by Tb0n3, Jan 2, 2019.

Let them keep your license?

1. Yes

3 vote(s)
    3.1%
  2. Under protest

8 vote(s)
    8.2%
  3. No

86 vote(s)
    88.7%
  1. Tb0n3

Tb0n3 Road Train Member

Oct 5, 2012
    Earth
    Got to a shipper that had a sign saying they'll hold your license until you get your bills. I hate letting my license out of my sight unless it's an officer. What's your opinion?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ronman105

Ronman105 Light Load Member

Dec 30, 2018
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    What's the reason for holding your license? That's just weird.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  4. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    100% never. I'll hold it and they can copy the name and lic number. Anything else and sorry, too bad.

5. Eddiec

Eddiec Road Train Member

Feb 2, 2015
    Not happening. You can look at it. But you're not holding it out of my sight for any length of time. You want something to hold...here is my company I.D.

6. JonJon78

JonJon78 Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2018
    I haul flatbed freight, a small handful of shippers that require tarping with hold your license or company issued ID in exchange for a safety harness you wear while tarping.

KB3MMX, Matt43324, SteerTire and 3 others Thank this.
  7. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    I just tell them I don't have a licence. :D

KB3MMX, pavrom, Woodchuck88 and 15 others Thank this.
  8. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    I had to give it for collateral on a safety helmet at that door slammer place I was at last month.

It annoys me.

cke, KB3MMX, Rideandrepair and 2 others Thank this.
  9. Hulld

Hulld Road Train Member

Oct 19, 2015
    Upstate NY
    1EBD78BE-EC0B-4A6A-887A-6122DBFE1A78.jpeg
    I give them this one when they ask...
    Even my picture matches lol

lynchy, Brettj3876, KB3MMX and 15 others Thank this.
  10. Grumppy

Grumppy Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Dec 11, 2010
    West Monroe, La
    Keep your old drivers licence & scratch out or use a permanent marker to cover all info they dont need or that you dont want them to have. Leave your picture, D/L#, etc whatever you want to leave or remove. Hand that to them.

I have gone to truck stops etc that require that I leave my credit card while I pump fuel. I promise you, that aint happening. I have an old refillable H&R Block debit card that they gave me one time so they could electronically put my refund on it when my tax refund was available. I used it all from the card, then just kept the card. Now every time a business wants me to leave my card while I pump fuel, I say; "here ya go" with a smile & hand them that old debit card with no money on it. They never check up.
    In the event that they accidentally try to charge that card for someone else's fuel... even through an honest mistake or intentionally..... its got no money assigned to it, so its going to decline. No danger of getting took.
    When I finish fueling, I go in, hand them my real card & ask for my empty card back. Their eyes usually light up like they know they just screwed up & sheepishly hand it back, take my good card, I pay for my fuel & walk out. Usually when I tell them I need my empty card back, they are like ... Huh? I tell them, yeah, that card is no good, its a dummy, here's my good card. Some of them really get mad about it.

You can do the same thing with a drivers licence or ID of some sort. I'll bet you once you hand it to them, they wont look at it close enough to tell if its a library card or a drivers licence. Besides, most rent-a-cops dont know what an out of state CDL looks like anyway. They'll never look at it, just lay it on the desk & tell you to go ahead.... with a smile.

RockinChair, KB3MMX, SteerTire and 5 others Thank this.
  11. IluvCATS

IluvCATS Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2014
    Seattle, WA
    I voted “yes”.
    It’s not good to question authority. :)

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.