Sleeping in daycabs

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Mr. EastCoast, Jul 24, 2021.

1. Frank Speak

Frank Speak Road Train Member

May 3, 2016
    Hot Springs, AR
    I have one of those. It's GREAT. That's the Kamp Rite, same as I have. I take it on weekend fishing trips. As for the truck, I just turn into a bat and hang upside down from the steering wheel or wherever I can.

p.s. I get up your way once in awhile to grab flyash out of Newark.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Judge

Judge Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Newport, Ar
    I go there every now and then to Peco, not but like 3-4 miles from that power plant.

Frank Speak Thanks this.
  4. Atlanta trucker

Atlanta trucker Road Train Member

Jan 25, 2017
    I always wondered how that worked ???? I never learned how to drive a day cab primarily because of that.

Speed_Drums Thanks this.
  5. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    The classic answer is lay a board across the seats and you lay across the seats.

I did something better for me.
    Buy a large and firm pillow.
    Buy a piece of 1/4 inch plywood and cut it to the same size, or very slightly smaller, as the pillow.
    Buy a large bath towel.
    Put the plywood on the ground.
    Put pillow on the plywood.
    Put towel over the top of pillow/plywood with the towel edges spread beyond all edges of pillow & wood.
    Fold towel edges over the 4 sides of the pillow/wood and, using staple gun, staple towel to backside of the plywood.

When complete you have a pillow upholstered by towel over the plywood. One side is soft, the other side is plywood.

I used the above to sleep in the driver seat. I would lean my pillow against the side window/door. I sit sideways in driver seat facing passenger seat and lean against my Driver Resting System (DRS). When I wasn't in the truck, I put my DRS in a nylon bag, like you would use to carry laundry to wash, and stand it behind the passenger seat.

Cost for everything might be $10.

Brettj3876 Thanks this.
  6. skallagrime

skallagrime Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Indiana
    Poorly.

That said, if youre tired enough to have to sleep in your daycab, where theres a will, theres a way

7. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    First thing you need to do is find a good hiding place, so the Company doesn’t fire you for “Stealing time”. Lay jacket on wheel, put head down. Keep the hiding place a secret. Or else you risk waking up to that one Jack### from work, pulled up in front of you, nose to nose, Laying on the air horn.

8. '88K100

'88K100 Heavy Load Member

Aug 23, 2020
    Padded board across seat stored behind passenger seat, pretty common for line haul drivers.. I've had terminal manager wake me after 7 hours "ah,,they forgot to send you a switch". I don't care,,I sleeping and getting PAID! Handy for road closures or any delays as all are paid waiting time

Speed_Drums and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  9. PSM379

PSM379 Medium Load Member

Apr 19, 2019
    Spent about 6/7 years in a day cab. Never ever could sleep in it, I would try when I was dead tired and could never do it. I may have dozed off maybe 1 or 2 times never lasted more then 30 seconds I think. I’ve seen guys full out fast asleep in some tho, I guess it’s just how your body is wired

Brettj3876 Thanks this.
  10. Magoo1968

Magoo1968 Medium Load Member

Mar 18, 2021
    St Malo mb
    Wasn’t there a member here who used to hang a hammock under the trailer for his siesta ..

Speed_Drums Thanks this.
  11. FLHT

FLHT Medium Load Member

Aug 2, 2014
    Tie knot in each end of hammock and open doors. Put knot out and shut doors.
    AC on low
    better than a flea bag motel.
    Works good under trailer too great for break downs.

not4hire Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Draft saved Draft deleted