Snackbar is chillin'....at Shaffer

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by supersnackbar, Oct 26, 2020.

1. Watchman63

Watchman63 Bobtail Member

Jan 28, 2017
    The biggest reason that Opti-Idle has to start so often is...OPTI-IDLE!!!

I have a 2018 Freightliner, and I was using Opti-Idle most of the time. The start-stop cycle was every 90 minutes or so. I use a CPAP and have a large refrigerator that runs all of the time. I stopped using Opti-Idle, and the batteries last at least 4 or 5 hours without the inverter shutting down. Maybe longer. The stupid thing about Opti-Idle is that the stupid ventilationfan runs, even on battery mode. That is the main reason that Opti-Idle has to start so often. My truck idles without shutting off, which I think is just a happy malfunction. I tend to idle for a few hours when I go to sleep, then the first time I wake up I shut the truck off. Extreme hot or cold alters this, but in moderate weather even with CPAP, refrigerator, and personal fan running, the truck goes for hours before hitting 12.1 volts, which I think is when the low voltage alarm goes off. I'm awake before that happens. Opti-Idle is a stupid system that causes the truck to idle far more than necessary just for battery purposes.

Bumper Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. supersnackbar

supersnackbar Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    35 or 40 minutes after I shut down, the comfort load circuit shuts things down, about an hour after that, I lose all interior lights. And the crazy thing is, all my interior lights are LED, so they should draw less power than the regular. If I have to use my bunk heater, it won't stay on unless the opti-idle is on, unlike the old lunchbox size bunk heater we use to have....there is something somewhere drawing power...or there is an issue with the wiring or the settings. The 2021 I drove for a short while didn't have these issues, so something's up with the truck somewhere.

4. Watchman63

Watchman63 Bobtail Member

Jan 28, 2017
    Wow, that is really bad. Something is definitely not right. Too bad the maintenance folks don't seem to care.

5. Farmerbob1

Farmerbob1 Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2017
    There is one big thing that will reduce your idle time that I have told several people at Crete, but as far as I have heard, it's never made it onto any official document with the company.

Your A/C thermostat has three 'range' settings to control the cooling of your sleeper. 4, 7, and 10 degrees.

The factory setting appears to be a 4 degree range. So, if you have the cooling thermostat set to 71 degrees, it will allow the sleeper to get to 75 degrees before turning on and dropping the temp back to 71. This leads to the truck turning on quite often in any sort of hot weather.

When I first came to Crete, I got nannygrams about my idle % as soon as warm weather hit. I dug around the settings of the thermostat, and set my thermostat range at 7 and target temp at 68 degrees so it would turn on at 75, and cool to 68. My idle % dropped about 8% immediately.

I tried it, but can't deal with the 10 degree shift. Going from 75 to 65 degrees in just a few minutes will wake me up regularly - it's not uncomfortable, it's just too big of a change and wakes me up. If you can deal with a range that large and stay comfortable (and asleep,) you can probably drop your idle % even more.

Lonesome Thanks this.
  6. BM 58

BM 58 Heavy Load Member

Jun 25, 2019
    I feel for you guys that have to deal with this bs. I turn on my apu or idle the truck go to sleep and don’t deal with any of this. No calls griping at me about idling, no nanny cam bs, nothing beeping at me when I change lanes, etc.

Western flyer Thanks this.
  7. supersnackbar

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    The newer trucks don't have a digital thermostat for a/c like the old system did. It uses the rotary dial.

PXL_20210403_040858654.jpg

To be honest, I think the old system worked better.

Lonesome and Farmerbob1 Thank this.
  8. iraqralph43

iraqralph43 Road Train Member

Jan 9, 2012
    I'm not sleeping in sweat .....because Crete thinks my idle time is too high...I will stay comfortable and idle ...much as needed

9. Farmerbob1

Farmerbob1 Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2017
    Wow. Crete going retro with the rheostats, eh?

There might still be a computer-controlled range for the temp setting. Might ask the next shop you are in a shop if there is a computer setting for sleeper thermostat activation range, if you feel like playing around with it.

10. supersnackbar

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    Me either. Out here in the Henderson/Vegas area it was already in the upper 80's to lower 90's (according to the truck dash while rolling). So warm, my reefer worked well into the night to get my outbound load of ice cream back down to -20 after they got it loaded...and I stayed on comfort mode all night.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2021
    Farmerbob1 and Lonesome Thank this.
  11. supersnackbar

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    Another day, another opportunity to send out a 'how to lower your idle time' message. #### I wish replying to that message would get to the sender...I would reply with a 'how to keep drivers from quitting and going to work for someone else'...#1 QUIT BUGGING US DAILY WITH BULL#### MESSAGES. #2 Buy decent equipment WITH APU's so the driver is comfortable without idling. #3 QUIT BUGGING US DAILY WITH BULL#### MESSAGES. Yes, I know it's a repeat... that's how strongly I feel about all the useless b.s. messages they send out. I deleted 25 unnecessary messages that I received since the middle of last week, so it was a slow week for them.

As for me, my opti-idle is screwing up. If I park for the day, say after fueling and hitting the restroom for the final time and need comfort mode, I back in a spot, set it for comfort mode and all is well...until it reaches the set temp, then it shuts down, and doesn't restart after the temperature goes back up in the sleeper. The only way I can get it to work again is to shut off the key, then just turn the key back to the run position, and reset the opti-idle. Then it works like it should. I bet my last dollar if the prissy office people had to work in their cubicle under the same conditions their 'greatest assets' do, they'd quit at a faster pace then their drivers do. Greatest Asset my big-ole-butt.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2021
    JoeyJunk, Farmerbob1, dwells40 and 3 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.