Snackbar is chillin'....at Shaffer

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by supersnackbar, Oct 26, 2020.

1. Farmerbob1

Farmerbob1 Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2017
    Shaffer reefer trailers over # 83900 have air ride and auto inflate most of the time. I have seen autoinflate trailers on trailers as low # as 83800, but between 838000 and 839000 are a mixed bag. Pretty sure they were testing the auto inflate feature between those numbers.

I am pretty sure there are still a few newer Shaffer trailers out there with spring suspensions, but I think everything over 840000 is 100% air ride and autoair.

Lonesome Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. supersnackbar

supersnackbar Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    I get about a 50/50 mix. For some reason, it seems a lot of the times the long runs I get a spring ride. This recruiting trailer is an 837...so it is probably on the short list. But it still beats the 100% spring ride on the dry side though.

Lonesome and Farmerbob1 Thank this.
  4. Farmerbob1

Jan 17, 2017
    Yeah, the dry side trailers get kept a lot longer than reefer trailers. Probably long enough to start having lots of air suspension issues with dry rot before Crete wants to sell them.

Lonesome Thanks this.
  5. bowlwinkle

bowlwinkle Heavy Load Member

Aug 27, 2008
    Ankeny, IA
    I'm not sure how long they keep the Shaffer trailers, but they've been getting rid of the Crete trailers a lot faster than they used to. I doubt that there are many trailers over 9-10 years old. I'm going to have to check the age of an older one the next time I get one.

Farmerbob1 and Lonesome Thank this.
  6. Farmerbob1

Jan 17, 2017
    Shaffer trailers are kept about 6-7 years from what I've seen. I suspect they sell them at that point either because: 1. Factory warranty on the reefer unit is close to expiring. 2. Insulation value of trailer walls is degrading. 3. Active engine hours on reefer are getting high (which might be related to 1?)

Lonesome Thanks this.
  7. Skootlez

Skootlez Light Load Member

May 19, 2015
    Knoxville, TN
    So is Crete/Shaffer forced routing and fueling?

8. supersnackbar

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    Just fueling, but...you have to go the 'suggested' route to get to the forced fuel stops. Unless you call and request a new fuel solution. I've been back almost 6 months, and this last week was the 1st time I have requested new fuel stops (did it on my last 2 loads). The 1st was from Mira Loma to Boise, they wanted me to go from Mira Loma to Vegas, then up to Twin Falls and west to Boise, the fuel stop was Barstow. It added like 80+ miles plus a real lack of places to stop between N Las Vegas and Wells NV. So I went north out of Hesparia and stopped for fuel in Kramer Jct. CA. And this load after I delivered outside Boise. It picked up east of Twin Falls going to McDonough, I asked for fuel stops that didn't require me to backtrack to the other side of Boise (I delivered way west of the city)

Last edited: Apr 12, 2021
    Farmerbob1 and Lonesome Thank this.
  9. supersnackbar

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    I think Deland is learning not to poke the bear. This weeks idle msg was simply. Your idle was 33%, please watch you idle time....

Lonesome, 88 Alpha, JoeyJunk and 3 others Thank this.
  10. supersnackbar

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    Honestly, I think the HVAC ECM might be going on this truck. Last week, it couldn't make up it's mind if it wanted to go on comfort mode cool, or comfort mode heat. Today, the sleeper is blowing cold air, and the dash is blowing hot air, all based off of the sleeper temp knob setting... Junk-liner Crapcadias...who needs 'em!!!!!

Farmerbob1, Speed_Drums and Lonesome Thank this.
  11. Farmerbob1

Jan 17, 2017
    Heh. Next time your terminal sends a message about your idle time, explain to them that if your cab AC stopped heating the front of the truck while your sleeper AC was trying to cool the back, your idle time might be improved. Maybe it's time to get the truck put in the shop for a real look at the AC systems?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.