Snackbar is chillin'....at Shaffer

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by supersnackbar, Oct 26, 2020.

1. Winnyf1

Winnyf1 Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2015
    Evansville, IN
    Lol yeah they have plenty of free data I’m sure. I truly hope we never end up like this...

You know from a purely cost perspective unless they have data that shows cost savings are being driven by these messages, they're such a waste from a Lean point of view.

Itsbrokeagain and JoeyJunk Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. supersnackbar

supersnackbar Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    Personally, I think they're sent out so that the person sending them out shows they're doing something so it justifies the necessity of their job...my Assistant Fleet manager kinda hinted at that a while back. We had a discussion about all the nanny messages telling us how to do stuff all drivers already know how to do...and that I didn't need any if it, including his messages about idle time...his response, "if I want a paycheck, that's what they tell me to do"

4. gentleroger

gentleroger Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2010
    In my 11 years at Schneider we have had 5 "Safety Managers" for my division. The first was "assisted to the door". Numbers 2, 3, and 4 started out by sending a whole bunch of group messages which petered out over time before suddenly restarting with a fury. Shortly after the restart, numbers 2, 3, and 4 moved on to different positions in the company. Number 5 is a former driver, former driver manager, and former curriculum developer. He doesn't send canned "be better" messages. If he sends a group message, it's because he has something to say that everyone NEEDS to hear. Otherwise he does things on a one to one level. Best safety guy ever.

5. supersnackbar

supersnackbar Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    The best safety guy I ever had was a retired FHP officer...logbook training was "here is what they look for in an inspection, and here is what get's you caught". Basically, a how-to on 'creative logging'. They had a mobile safety guy who would go around to all the regional scales and ask to see as many of the company's trucks that come thru as they could send back, without clogging up the back lot of their scale. They all knew him, and though he was doing random checks...all he did was make sure you were legal at the time, then ask 'what time do you want me to say I inspected you, so our paperwork matches'...and you'd get $25 for a clean inspection.

Creaffer has a guy in safety nicknamed 'bones'...for a safety guy, he's a good egg. When I was here last, he did the Safety Meetings and Defensive Driving class...and was actually entertaining...I once commented to him on how he could probably make an insurance seminar interesting.

The worst was for the same company that had the FHP cop, years later, who thought it impressed drivers because she actually was a driver at one time (for a whole 6 months). She swore that any driver who runs over 3000 miles a week must be doing drugs(because she couldn't handle that many miles when she drove) and you'd get sent for a random every time. She lasted about as long as a safety boss as she did as a driver because she costed the company an exorbitant amount of money just on negative drug test fees.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2021
  6. Frank Speak

Frank Speak Road Train Member

May 3, 2016
    Wow, and I was kind of whining this morning when the boss (owner of the outfit I drive for) texted me my Monday morning load this morning instead of just waiting until Monday morning to send it to me. Lol

7. JoeyJunk

JoeyJunk Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2010
    Washington, PA
    We don’t get any unnecessary messages. Like none. But they will send the loads twice for some reason and it really irritates me. I wonder if it’s a glitch in the system.

8. newbietrucker91

newbietrucker91 Road Train Member

Oct 16, 2015
    Texas
    Reason for the 12h thing is maybe you had your vent open where you sleep and someone's apu exhaust was pointed at it and it ended up giving you the BIG sleep. If you ignore the msg then after 24h you might get a knock on the door from the local police xD

Speed_Drums Thanks this.
  9. Bumper

Bumper Road Train Member

Feb 8, 2008
    Kingsport, Tennessee
    Their way of wanting to know why you were not rolling 10 seconds after your break was over.

Winnyf1 Thanks this.
  10. Deadwood

Deadwood Heavy Load Member

Dec 24, 2016
    I remember Bones! He was a good dude. He was obsessed with World War 2 and always had 1940’s music playing on SiriusXM before he started his presentations.

I also remember the “Safety Manager” that he replaced. He’d gotten so many DUI’s that his wife had to drop him off and pick him up from work. They let him stick around until retirement, apparently, but it was hard to take their safety messages seriously with that guy running things.

11. bowlwinkle

bowlwinkle Heavy Load Member

Aug 27, 2008
    Ankeny, IA

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.