Stop Sign's and White Lines

Discussion in 'Road Stories' started by Coffeeman41086, Mar 25, 2018.

1. bottleneck rookie

bottleneck rookie Bobtail Member

Mar 14, 2018
    Whether is was 3” or 3’ you failed to stop behind the white line. Quit whining and be a professional. Like someone else above said, Make a complete stop behind the line then creep forward.

MartinFromBC and QuietStorm Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Coffeeman41086

Coffeeman41086 Bobtail Member

Mar 25, 2018
    UPDATE: The ticket cost me $218.00 dollars and 2 points,and I did STOP BEFORE THE STOP SIGN .THAT COP JUST HAS A PROBLEM WITH AMERICAN DRIVERS FROM OUT OF STATE, after 32 years of trucking that was a first. Wonder who gets the bigger cut the officer or chief. Good thing I didn't buy any tickets to the policemans ball.

Getsinyourblood Thanks this.
  4. Sirscrapntruckalot

Sirscrapntruckalot Road Train Member

You had me with the policemans ball, and against American drivers, the rest of the thread was just a bonus. Thank you.

[​IMG]

Sirscrapntruckalot - ...

D.Tibbitt and Coffeeman41086 Thank this.
  5. camionneur

camionneur Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2013
    How to Stop at a STOP Sign: 15 Steps (with Pictures)

[​IMG]
    The lives of others may depend on you doing that right every time. Let this be a reminder.

Of course I can empathize with anyone getting shafted over a technicality (in a no harm, no foul situation), yet the stop lines and those for crosswalks were added because people have perhaps died over that little difference, since stop signs may not be put up until several accidents have happened to justify them, and the same goes for these extra precautions which augment (meaning to add an argument to) the street sign itself—think of it as a double stop sign or add an extra stop for each line or set of lines, where you can still see those while stopped. Also tap your horn for each of the 15 steps in the process (in order to alert others, methinks).

Last edited: Nov 22, 2018
  6. Gearjammin' Penguin

Gearjammin' Penguin "Ride Fast-Truck Safe"

Feb 18, 2007
    Central AZ
    "Yes, I am. Maybe someday, you'll be one, too."

JReding Thanks this.
  7. camionneur

Oct 18, 2013
    Watch out for the ASLs in Portland too (wait, is that a pun)... but according to budget rent-a-car, their 4th most common accident is related to this: "Don't miss the stop line at an intersection.Some drivers ignore this and continue forward.This can cause a major accident or injury."

Trucks also have more of a blind spot there, so don't even cut it close, or else. If someone runs into you for any reason, and your vehicle is not behind the line, then you could have prevented it, right (this is literally black and white). I'll try to think of it like stopping at a railroad crossing. Would I personally want to inch over that line to stop, or stop at least 15 feet behind it? No question (for someone running into your truck it could be like them hitting a train).

This is how they get you though: "From an enforcement perspective, if the motorist stops past the stop line or into the crosswalk, or even slightly into the physical intersection, a citation would likely not be given. The motorist usually has to pass through the intersection to be cited for running a red-light."—Federal Highway Administration

Most of the time it doesn't cross people's minds because it isn't strictly enforced. But again, if there's an accident, it will always be strictly enforced after the fact. Maybe you'd rather get a ticket now than have it come to that some other time. You never know what's going to come flying through an intersection (that's why you stop, and even go out of your way to make it obvious in a truck that it wasn't a close call). Not to preach, I mean thanks for the heads up, as it were.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2018
  8. camionneur

Oct 18, 2013
  9. Sirscrapntruckalot

Sirscrapntruckalot Road Train Member

The best part about that photo is...

Why didn't they catch it before they painted?

If that's California(That state has more odd balls then NYC has pizza places)...I understand. If anywhere else someones road/paint crew needs a drug and spelling test. Heh.

I still think weathermen got it to easy. They can be wrong everyday and still have a job, and get a raise!

Sirscrapntruckalot - ole'!

camionneur Thanks this.
  10. CDL Noob

CDL Noob Light Load Member

Oct 4, 2018
    I am a retired cop. I spent more than 25 years working patrol, narcotics, gangs, and special crimes in a large city department before I retired.

One thing I can tell you is that the guys who were traffic ###### (or worked motors) were the ones with small peckers, or who were picked on in school.

Consider, as a out-of-state driver, you are FAR less likely to fight the ticket, and far more likely to simply pay it...then the revenue stream from your violation will be court-cost-neutral (no court costs deducted from the municipality).

It's a serious dick move by the co-called officer. Sorry you got hit with a citation by a traffic #####.

11. brsims

brsims Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Meadville, PA

Personally, I'd like to see Stop Bars (or lines or designated points or however your state names them) enforced more strictly.

In most intersections, those Stop Bars are actually engineered to allow the flow of traffic, including Class 8 vehicles on route, through the intersection without contact.

The worst part of any major city (and many small towns) is trying to negotiate a left or right turn when someone else has taken the space you need to complete said turn safely. If people would simply stay BEHIND the Stop Bar until it is their turn, I could negotiate my turn more efficiently and clear the intersection in a smooth and safe manner.

But what do I know? I also believe that speed limit laws and hand held devices laws need to be far more strictly enforced. I FIRMLY believe that increased enforcement (and increased punishment for violations) would do more to improve highway and traffic safety than any number of increased regulations on the noticeable minority (truck drivers).

Bring on the Highway Enforcement Wolf Packs! I truly enjoy watching those guys and gals at work. And I always seem to have a nice, enjoyable day when I'm rolling through a Wolf Pack enforcement area.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.