Student apprenticeship while on probation?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Ricky0418, Jul 25, 2021.

1. Lunatic Fringe

Lunatic Fringe Medium Load Member

Oct 1, 2016
    I think the issue is that you're still, "on probation". Even though your situation is more of a probation lite it still counts as probation and most companies have a one-size fits all policy of no probation.

Paying out of pocket for CDL school may get you a CDL but that doesn't guarantee you'll get a job. What if you pay, or worse borrow. to go to school, get a CDL and end up without a job? A CDL isn't a Twinkie - you can't just put it on a shelf and not use it for a year. Most employers would require you to retrain before they would turn you loose with a truck. If you do go that route you'd either need to get a pre-hire letter before you start so you know that if you finish the class you'll have a job waiting for you or prepare to drive a white Volvo 1099.

You'll have better options when you're off parole. Companies that train felons (case by case):

CFI
    CRST
    Roehl Transport
    Schneider
    Stevens Transport
    XPO Logistics

I know you're felony-free, but it's not like there's two lists. There are companies that care more than others about criminal history. The companies above care less than most.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Quite a coincidence, you're in Janesville!

4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
  5. Frank Speak

Frank Speak Road Train Member

May 3, 2016
    Your convictions are misdemeanors? If so, I can’t imagine any trucking company turning you down.

Also, I worked for Roehl many years ago when I was new. DO NOT go to their school. I saw guys that did that and then turned out to be little more than indentured servants.

And, when they quit because they weren’t making any money, Roehl would slap them with a ridiculously high bill for the school.

Go to a vocational or community college.

Savor the Flavor Thanks this.
  6. Savor the Flavor

Savor the Flavor Medium Load Member

Nov 2, 2018
    Quite a few of the mega's do that, not just Roehl.

Frank Speak Thanks this.
  7. Lunatic Fringe

Oct 1, 2016
    As Paul Harvey (RIP) used to say, "And now for the rest of the story". Found elsewhere on the internet...

"....I have pre qualified for 3 company's that I am interested in. Veriha, Mills and Roehl. Getting to the point now. I am concerned for my backround check, as I do not want to quit my current job of 4 years to find out my backround check has failed. I don't exactly have a great backround. I have things like possession of thc (12 years ago, theft movable property (20 years ago) and a couple of other similar things of that nature (20 years old) my biggest concern is my more recent unfortunate charge. I won't go into detail of the charge. To say the least I title jumped a car title and was charged with forgery writing of objects. In turn was dropped to misdemeanor disorderly conduct and obstructing an officer. It's is so unfortunate because I never lied to the police officer. Also I was put on probation until restitution is payed 2000$ I am a law abiding citizen that had put myself around the wrong people. Anyway I have a clean MVR and am on probation only to pay the restitution. Not required to report other then over the phone to my probation officer. The sentence date for this charge is 1 year old. The charge was entered in 2018. Will they give me a chance possibly on something so fresh? Regardless I will not give up on trucking as a career I am just curious if I will have a problem getting into ANY apprenticeship or trucking company? Thanks guys and appreciate the help."

There's enough overlap between our OP and the post above (posted elsewhere a day prior to OP's post here) to make me think they are the same customer. He got a lot of blowback over the, "I am a law abiding citizen" claim which is probably why he left out the felony theft and misdemeanor drug convictions as well as the, "other similar things of that nature" (whatever that means) when he posted here.

OP was wasting our time. While we were scratching our heads about why no one was interested in training him he was not being honest with us. When we say a carrier will consider convicts on a case by case basis that means they want to see that you've changed your ways and that your criminal history isn't the kind of thing that will make them regret hiring you down the road. Theft is one of the more serious convictions in trucking. They're turning you loose with 450 sq/ft of someone else's property (often worth $1M +) as well as a truck that's worth about six-figures. If a driver swipes their customer's property it can permanently damage the carrier's reputation. It's one thing to say, "Yeah, I have a felony theft conviction, but it's from 20 years ago and I learned my lesson." It's quite another to have a 20 year old theft conviction on your record and be on probation for another theft charge that was pled down.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2021
  8. Ricky0418

Ricky0418 Bobtail Member

Jul 25, 2021
    I think it's clear you have analyzed my post only to make assumptions about me. Your first assumption was stating I have a felony! I have none. Your 2nd assumption was trying to upgrade the severity of a charge that happened when I was 17 years old. If you must know my ONE theft charge was nothing more than guilty by association misdemeanor with a fine (300$.) Also yes i had 2 possession of Marijuana charges and a paraphernalia charge when I was 18,19 and 26 (400$) so what!!! Those charges have been expunged as I recently found out. Where you are getting this felony theft gets me?? It was not a theft that was pled down. Do you know the circumstances of the case? No you don't! Also it makes sense to leave out personal information from 20 years ago for that reason.. it's not important and the severity is also minimal and is not a concern being so old and the fact I was 17. I don't know anything about you! But if I was to make one assumption about you, it would scream narcissist! I sure don't come on a forum to get reprimanded for something i have payed the price for many years ago. My current charge was dropped to a misdemeanor because the JUDGE agreed there was no felony committed the circumstances and having a COLLEGE DEGREE was basis for that decision. Sometimes bad things happen to good people. The price I am currently paying for buying a vehicle for my wife and newborn child from a heroin junkie and selling the lemon without registering the vehicle. The junkie came back for more money and there was a victim involved (Person I sold the car too) a case had to be created. its above your understanding and does not need your validation! (Yes i learned my lesson) I am currently in upper management and have been for the better majority of my adulthood. (Clearly no issue with theft) So again, your assumptions about me are inaccurate. It's narcissistic people like you I have had the pleasure of learning how to deal with through physiological aspects of my life. Your ridicule and assumptions will only drive me harder to accomplish what despicable and disgraceful people like you assume I can't accomplish. Again I learned from the ridiculous putdowns based off personal information and it's entirety on another forum and decided it was best to disclose the one thing I am dealing with right now. Misdemeanor (disorderly conduct) (un-supervised probation) a passion to become a successful truck driver! I pride myself in my preparation tactics and soak up sophisticated information. Little ### 300$ misdemeanors as a young teen are irrelevant being 15-20 years old. Also if you knew anything about me and my character you wouldn't be so quick to belittle it. I have out work and maximized every position I have held my entire life, that is not an understatement! I know your worried that I will come into this industry as a rookie and a CONVICT! LOL and out preform anything you have considered an accomplishment! you see me as nothing more then a threat. I get it! Thanks for the compliment! You can continue on with your lame unsatisfactory life. I'm not sorry that you haven't experienced adversities in life and are so quick to put down or tear down people that are only seeking the opposite of what you are offering! (Help) hopefully you get some clarification on that reply and you can find another person to bully. Also not that it's your business but I will be off probation in October 2021 as the minimum of 1 year supervision will be completed with the 2000$ payed in full. As I have learned from resourceful people, my chances are greater not being on probation at all. Glad I could clarify and validate to someone who clearly has a few mental health issues being on these forums for the wrong reasons. Call me hypocritical but you get what you give Mr. Bundy.

9. Lunatic Fringe

Oct 1, 2016
    Touched a nerve? Whatever I am I'm someone who doesn't have a problem finding a job driving a truck - unlike some people..

10. Ricky0418

Ricky0418 Bobtail Member

Jul 25, 2021
    You definitely did not touch a nerve. I felt the need to clarify what seemed to be inadequate information on basis of assumptions and ridicule. I never once said I was having a problem finding a truck driving job! I litterly just started this journey and even have yet to get my permit and DOT physical, drug test (this week) I am also registered with the DOT clearing house (no issues) (no worries). I haven't even been turned down a position. I was only seeking information on what to expect considering the circumstances. I am down grading my pay going into this industry as a rookie and will be making 20,000 less then what I make now. Why? one might ask. Passion and desire to succeed in an industry I have always dreamt of being successful in! Do you hold either one of those qualities? You probably hate your job! Your probably not even successful at it. I would ask your age but your maturity speaks for itself. I honestly think you feel guilty about something and maybe your CDL and position as a driver should be re-evaluated! But hey, who am I to judge. I will be there soon and will be sure to find you on the INTERNET when I purchase my first brand new Freightliner. Nice try coming at someone that most likely has a lot more accomplishments then SOME PEOPLE

11. Ricky0418

Ricky0418 Bobtail Member

Jul 25, 2021
    Thank you for your response. My community College does not have an opening until spring 2022 unfortunately. It's still a possibility that I will go that route, although I am willing and ready to commit to 1 year OTR just to get the extensive experience.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.