Taking the plunge. My journey as an O/O.

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Farmerbob1, Jan 7, 2019.

1. Opendeckin

Opendeckin Medium Load Member

May 20, 2018
    O/O with authority here. My cost of operation with taxes, but not my own labor cost is 1.20 a mile. You maybe save .10 cpm not owning a trailer. Their crap program is designed to ensure you get company driver wages with owner operator risk. The cheapest load I've ever taken as an o/o was 1.8 a mile. Over $2 all miles for sure.

Better off leasing to a better company.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Farmerbob1

Farmerbob1 Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2017
    Your costs, before your own wages, are 1.20 per mile? 1.10 not including a trailer?

What are your yearly repair and maintenance expenses?

What is your fuel economy?

What about truck payments?

1.10 per mile expenses is far more than anything I will see unless I have to put 50k in repairs into the truck every year, above and beyond routine maintenance.

Well, I suppose that if I only drive 1500 miles a week, my cost per mile might get to 1.10 per mile due to fixed costs.

For me though, anything less than 3000 miles a week is a bad week. That will significantly drive down my fixed costs to earned income ratio.

AaronP Thanks this.
  4. Opendeckin

Opendeckin Medium Load Member

May 20, 2018
    Maintenance has averaged about 25cpm. I've had some pretty bad luck though. Mpg pulling cattle was about 5mpg. Get about 6mpg pulling my flat. No truck payment. Trailer payment is 1200.

You can easily spend 50k a year running a ragged out Emissions truck. Their's a reason all the fleets dump them at 500k and the people that buy them afterwards delete them. A cummins rebuild is an easy 40k and with emissions they routinely blow up between 300-500k.

The extended warranty you got should help if it's an extended factory warranty. If it's a 3rd party warranty they always weasel out.

also insurance runs about 8k a year.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
    SurfBaker and Farmerbob1 Thank this.
  5. Buckeye 60

Buckeye 60 Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2018
    I haven't been worried about miles,for quite some time much better to be paid by the load than a fixed mileage some weeks 1500 miles is a good week a lot of the time you can take a 200 mile load and make more than a 650 mile load . rarely go under 2 a mile , way more over 3 than under 2 . you have to figure your dead head into that but mostly stay under 50 miles usually if more than that it's going after a very good paying load or I am in a bad area in that case I made money going in . the bad part of this is your pay is more steady instead of up and down like mine but mine averages out to be a lot more ...... starting out without a truck payment is nice .... but having a clear title in your office desk is a lot better lol

6. Farmerbob1

Jan 17, 2017
    Well, looked at my settlement numbers from my first good week.

Paid miles: 3610. 191 of those were empty miles, but I get paid the same for empty as loaded.

Income for all paid miles + FSC: 4785.

After all deducted costs, including my first truck payment, maintenance escrow, actual fuel costs, and health insurance, my take home was 2209.

This does not include money held back for taxes.

7. Midwest Trucker

Midwest Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 31, 2018
    What happens if you pay yourself .55/mi?

tucker and Opendeckin Thank this.
  8. Farmerbob1

Jan 17, 2017
    I have money left over. This week. The deductions already include an automatic 15cpm deduction for maintenance.

Now, granted, this does not take into account taxes. It also does not take expenses into account. If I were paying myself as an employee, I would be deducting my pay as another expense, reducing the company taxes, but increasing my personal taxes. There is also perdiem to consider. I will have to see real numbers of a quarterly filing before I feel comfortable with any sort of long term predictions.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
    Reason for edit: Added info.
  9. Eldiablo

Eldiablo Heavy Load Member

Jul 15, 2016
    How long do you have to lease this truck?

Farmerbob1 Thanks this.
  10. Scooter Jones

Scooter Jones Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    3610 miles in a week? Man, I can't even imagine having to run that many miles as an owner operator to gross $2,200. More power to you though.

tommymonza and Broke Down 69 Thank this.
  11. Farmerbob1

Jan 17, 2017
    Loan is for 3 years. $420 per week.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.