The Adventures of Dummy, Dingleberry and Stupid (the Darwins)

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by TripleSix, Nov 26, 2017.

1. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    I didn't see the offending video, but one of my subscribers was telling me about this youtuber video'ing his trailer hub leaking oil and took it on the road anyway. At a certain point it caught on fire and was very lucky it didn't come off and kill someone. His subscribers begged him not to pull that trailer and he has since taken the evidence down off his channel.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    In the big Wyoming pileup video, you notice the trucks start to rifle down through the middle of the stopped trucks only to crash. If anyone ever wonders what went through those guys minds, just listen to the commentary on this video. Remember “Dumaz, Dingleberry and Stupid”?

Dumaz is a complete idiot. He should not be driving
    Dingleberry hovers around the back end...either tailgating or matching speeds with your back wheels.
    And here’s the point: Stupid is stupid because he knows better but chooses to ignore what he knows. Dumaz can’t help it because he doesn’t know any better. Stupid knows.

“Hey, there’s something going on up here. I better switch lanes...”

Number one rule in defensive driving, if at all possible, avoid bad situations. Number two rule, if the bad situation is unavoidable, leave yourself an out. When you’re running down the road is the right lane, and the left lane traffic starts to tighten, you see this. The smart driver backs out of it, creating a space, a way out in a crash. A stupid driver will switch lanes and become part of the problem. Everyone knows the whole spill on PROPER FOLLOWING DISTANCE. When you see the following distances compress in a line of traffic, a crash is imminent. Back out of the throttle. Do not switch into the faster lane

In bad weather, people have the tendency to run side by side, nose to tail in a pack. Trucks do it too. What should you do when the pack surrounds you? Back off the throttle.

In the winter driving threads, we always bring out about how some driver, comes to a complete stop on a hill to engage his power divider. That guy is Dumaz...he doesn’t know. The guys running to close behind to avoid stopping are Dingleberries. Stupid knows how to work the power divider. Stupid will not be following too closely to get trapped.

What makes Stupid “stupid”?

Remember, he has intelligence. Stupid will see all of these things, will see the dangerous situation, he will know what to do...

“What will Stupid do, Six?”

Stupid will come up on this mess, switch lanes and attempt to blow by them,...just as one of the Dingleberries, who was too close to the one in front of him, had to make an extremely slow, hard turn into the open lane...Stupid will be Driving Too Fast for Road Conditions.

C R A S H

If you recognize Dumaz, if you recognize Dingleberry following Dumaz too closely, something bad is about to happen. DONT Be Stupid.

4. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    I had a near incident with Stupid today, southbound on I-35 approaching San Antonio with four lanes merging into three lanes. The #4 (right) lane ends. I'm in the #3 lane, pulling a trailer that's 10'4" wide and 63' long. It's a pig. My rear view mirror visibility is limited to just behind my trailer.

I do the Smart thing and back down to low range and plod along, allowing a string of four wheelers to "win" and merge ahead of me. As I approach the concrete barrier at the merge I have good space in front, check my left mirror to see if I have an out and there's a pickup truck hanging just behind my 15' overhang. That's good.

Then I look at my right mirror, expecting to see the last four wheel straggler merging behind me, only to see STUPID in a red Cascadia pulling a reefer hammering down to attempt to get in front of me before he hits the wall.

I check my left mirror, the pickup truck hasn't accelerated faster than I have. I check my right and STUPID is already equal with me with only 100 yards to Darwin's Paradise.

I check left, it's good, and merge my 10'4" into the middle lane.

What exactly do YOU think STUPID's Plan was? Do you think he planned on me merging left, or do you think he planned on massively forcing an driver with OVERSIZED banners into traffic in the center lane.

One CLEAR rule of the road for Professional drivers is to GIVE ROOM for oversize loads to get through difficult areas, ESPECIALLY construction zones that require that driver to maintain 4-8" from the concrete wall to allow four wheelers to pass.

That red Cascadia wasn't any mega carrier. It's was a typical self centered mindless cluck in an ungoverned truck. If I had been pinned with traffic to the left he was going into the wall.

D.Tibbitt, mjd4277, TripleSix and 2 others Thank this.
  5. shogun

shogun Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Doing a regen
    @Lepton1,

Anytime I approach an oversize that I can overtake, I always let out of it and trail when we approach a bridge even if I could safely pass with room in between. I wait til we both have open shoulders. It’s so uncommon nowadays for drivers to anticipate problems for other drivers and be courteous and let out of it.

6. Lepton1

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    That's always been my modus operandi from the day I first drove a truck in '77. You NEVER EVER crowd an oversized load, ESPECIALLY in a CONSTRUCTION ZONE. It absolutely boggles the mind, the absolute IDIOCY behind the wheel of commercial trucks these days.

If I was pinned in the number 2 lane that idiot would have eaten the concrete barrier.

TripleSix, Feedman and shogun Thank this.
  7. scottied67

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    I should'a filmed it, but I saw a wide guy gaining pretty fast in my mirror so I got over to the fast lane and let him pass in the slow lane so he wouldn't have to change lane twice.

Later in the day for some reason he was lugging along and truckers were passing him, I had to too. I don't get it.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  8. HillbillyDeluxeTruck

HillbillyDeluxeTruck Road Train Member

Mar 3, 2013
    San Antone

Sorry about all the idiocy down here. Especially on 35.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  9. Lepton1

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    I wonder if he was slowing down to time it into a curfew zone. What time of day was it? Was it approaching a metropolitan area?

10. scottied67

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    It was later in the afternoon yes. Can't recall where it was just now, wish I had recorded it but I never expected to catch him later that day.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  11. Eldiablo

Eldiablo Heavy Load Member

Jul 15, 2016
    I watched a Walmart “experienced” driver do almost the same thing a few weeks ago. It was a mobile home and the pilot car was trying to force their way over but the Walmart driver wasn’t having no such thing. I had seen them, and heard them on the radio,getting on so I just slowed down and took a different route. These “experienced” drivers aren’t all that experienced. I drive a road hazard, governed, and have them pass me and will cut over in front of me within 20’ of passing me. Idiots.

Feedman and Lepton1 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.