Virginia police ticketing truckers who park on the side of the road following fatal crash

Discussion in 'Trucking Accidents' started by chico9696, Aug 2, 2020.

1. supersnackbar

supersnackbar Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    When I had a truck leased to Landstar, you pull off on the shoulder, you had 10 minutes to get your triangles out and in place. Get caught by another driver or someone hits you, you're contract is terminated immediately. They called it being a sitting duck

alds, speedyk, PoleCrusher and 2 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mjd4277

mjd4277 Road Train Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Fitchburg,MA
    Wisconsin needs to crackdown on this issue.
    A week ago I had a close call on the off ramp at Exit 145 on I-94 in Tomah. I was bringing back a Cargill backhaul from Milwaukee to the Tomah Walmart DC. For reasons unknown (and which defy any belief or logic) some idiot in a Ford Super Duty pickup truck pulling a trailer decided to attempt to pull off the shoulder in front of me while I’m still decelerating from 65 m.p.h. Now the only thing that saved both of us from having a collision is me going LEVEL 3 on the jake(full power),hitting the brakes and me blasting his dumb*** with the air horn. The driver got out of the way quickly when they realized they were about to become a hood ornament on a Freightliner!!!
    Now Wisconsin is clear on this issue-they have signs posted on the side of the ramps-literally in black and white with red lettering included that clearly say,and I quote:
    NO PARKING ON RAMPS
    ONLY POLICE AND AUTHORIZED VEHICLES

There’s a Kwik Trip travel plaza a mile up the highway in Tomah. There are TWO truck stops 4 miles back in Oakdale!! There is/was absolutely no reason or excuse to be parked on that off ramp-especially one that has heavy truck traffic-and you certainly don’t pull out in front of a semi that is decelerating on an off ramp trying to come to a stop!!

alds, tommymonza, Bud A. and 1 other person Thank this.
  4. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    I see more 4 wheelers parked on the side of the road than i do trucks. It needs to be enforced both ways . Not just picking on the trucks. Maybe the guy should not be driving sleepy or distracted and he wouldnt of ran into the truck and died. He wouldve hit something else if the truck wasnt there. The moron parked on the side of the road should have his cdl taken away

PoleCrusher, Bud A. and TokyoJoe Thank this.
  5. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    I totally do. I prefer the on ramp. I mean let's be for real. Its millions of truckers. Are there millions of rest area and truck stop parking spots? Nope. Then this driver died on 81 in Virginia. There is a lot of truck traffic traveling the entire length of 81, from Bristol all the way to upstate NY. What was he supposed to do? As many truck stops as there are in Virginia on 81, if its past 6 or 7 o clock, you may as well hang that one up.

Ibapaine and HoneyBadger67 Thank this.
  6. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    Y'all might just wish you had reconsidered holding your lane if a person were to step out from infront of that vehicle into your lane at a moment when niether you nor they could do anything to avoid the following CMV vs HUMAN collision.

I had a very near miss of exactly this nature... Because I decided to not move over. Luckily the man stepped backwards against his truck and got skinny just barely in time. I had to pull over at the very next exit because I was so freaked out I couldnt drive for an hour or so. That image of him stepping in front of my CMV will be burned into my brain until I die. Scariest moment of my life.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
    Concorde, magoo68, D.Tibbitt and 5 others Thank this.
  7. Wasted Thyme

Wasted Thyme Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2020
    GOAT watching
    Yes but most 4 wheelers are broke down when they're on the side of the road. ;)

8. Bud A.

Bud A. Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Mountain Time
    Usually. Not always.
    [​IMG]

9. Bud A.

Bud A. Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Mountain Time
    Sometimes that's the driver that just got done taking a leak and he's about to pull back out into traffic, though.

Concorde Thanks this.
  10. Bud A.

Bud A. Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Mountain Time
    I'm very familiar with Denver. There are only a handful of Walmarts where you are not allowed to park, but I would agree that many of them are tough places to put a truck. The one on Tower Road fills up pretty fast, and it's mayhem anyway. The one in Centennial has room, though, and is pretty easy to get in and out.

There's also a couple of industrial parks, including an Amazon DC, just off of I-70 near I-225 and E-470 where you could park on the shoulder and just sort of blend in.

Denver is sort of like California (and becoming more so every day, unfortunately). It helps a lot to know some places where you can park that aren't truck stops, because all of the truck stops suck.

HoneyBadger67 Thanks this.
  11. tommymonza

tommymonza Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2013
    S.W. Florida
    I had the same thing happen with my company Western Star going around Chicago my first couple weeks driving.

Freaked out no power. My removed shoes I set by the side of the seat vibrated over and hit the switch.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.