what it takes to open truck driving school

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by pavrom, Apr 29, 2012.

1. Silvermitts

Silvermitts Light Load Member

Apr 27, 2012
    Ga
    I've got a 19 inch color TV , a decent desk & a phone that works if
    you buy minutes for it.
    Let ya have it all for 100 bucks & I'll even throw in the table the TV sits
    on for free !

Blackshack46 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Dominick253

Dominick253 Heavy Load Member

Nov 19, 2015
    Same for me. Drove everything with wheels since I can remember so trucking came naturally to me. I found helping my dad work on his trucks helped me understand how they work a lot better. I actually got paid to train and take my cdl test. Plus I got a raise at the job I was at. When I hear people pay thousands for it I'm kind of at a loss. I've trained three people with one working day to get their cdl and they all passed first time (at least skills I can't make them read the book). Easy as pie as long as you practice for a few hours on the course they you will take the test on. If they aren't open you are welcome to go and practice. I'd sit outside the truck and the only thing I would tell them was "relax, take your time, and all I'm going to do it tell you how far away you are. Works like a charm. This way someone can practice the pull up and stop 50 times in a very short time (vs having to get out and check every time). I never exactly got the point of going to a school. I've gotten jobs and job offers from some of the biggest companies out there. So obviously it's more about experience than schooling. Hell I know a lot more about trucking than many of the drivers that went to school (mainly because of truckers report).

csmith1281 Thanks this.
  4. Steel Dragon

Steel Dragon Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2015
    Economy is crashing,and megas are shutting down,their driving schools.
    Cheap freight is going to be really cheap.
    If you want to start a business..how about some big gravel parking lots,for big trucks?
    Put them close to all the walmart dc's.

csmith1281 Thanks this.
  5. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    You guys are funny. The insurance alone has to be paid and how would you do that. Listen to Sprit, she's got it right. Looked into it, with surplus trucks and free office space, it is a tough thing to do.

Dan.S Thanks this.
  6. GoldOlive

GoldOlive Bobtail Member

Aug 8, 2017
    This is a sure way to prepare for destruction and alot of wrecks....No video game will be effective in teaching drivers how to drive...They need the real road and the real driving experience

7. Tabucica

Tabucica Bobtail Member

Feb 28, 2018
    I'm owning a trucking company in Illinois and I found this post while looking at how to open a CDL Training School. I do have the equipment needed for training, a large yard and office space. I also have money for the startup. I also have experienced drivers in my fleet wanting to spend more time with the family, so they would be interested in becoming CDL instructors. Based on the information listed in here, I have all the resources to open the school.
    I'm thinking of opening a CDL school mainly because of the driver shortage on the market today. I'm expanding my trucking company and I do hire unexperienced CDL drivers, and I would rather train them in my school, by my people.
    So, does anyone actually know what are the steps on opening a CDL School in Illinois? Some links would help too :)

csmith1281 Thanks this.
  8. csmith1281

csmith1281 Medium Load Member

May 29, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    I don’t know about Illinois, but I know the Department of driver services here in Georgia was able to provide me with information on the legal requirements. Don’t know what three letters they used to describe that department in Illinois, but call them up. They can get you started moving in the right direction.

Tabucica Thanks this.
  9. Scvready

Scvready Light Load Member

Dec 16, 2017
    Louisiana
    Lmao you really don't. 7 weeks in and I'm teaching my instructor how to shift now that I've gotten the hang of it. These schools make money because they hire instructors with zero experience or they hire a truck driver who can't get a job as a truck driver because he can't drive. So he settles for less at a school. Ideally you should know what you are doing but that's not how the real world works. You can still open the school with no experience and wing it.

speedyk Thanks this.
  10. TruckerZ0

TruckerZ0 Bobtail Member

Apr 4, 2018
    Have you opened school yet? I am interested in becoming instructor at school I have CDL but need to gain drive experience.

11. Twin Screws

Twin Screws Light Load Member

Apr 5, 2014

You have ABSOLUTELY NO CLUE what you are talking about. If you are teaching your instructor ANYTHING, then you picked a garbage school, which say as much about you as the school.

Relax supertrucker, you dont know as much as you think you do.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.