What makes a tanker food grade?

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by Isxrookie, Apr 4, 2022.

1. mustang190

mustang190 Road Train Member

Jan 18, 2011
    Florida Panhandle
    I thought that once the tank wash sealed everything it was their baby. If you got to the customer and they rejected the trailer the tank wash owned it?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. wis bang

wis bang Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Levittown, PA
    There are non-spec 'sanitary' trailers used for food products like juice and milk and corn syrups. They are easy to spot, no roll over protection around the dome lid and a stainless box around the rear outlet which may include a stainless pump.

Other food products are transported in 'spec' trailers, often dedicated to one product +/or type of product. Phosphoric acid is in sodas, used to drive by a small bottler and see the DOT412 with corrosive placards delivering Phos.

'Food Grade' cleaning bays are popular; especially near major food producers, and they are set up to check all gaskets NJ stuff, as well as issue a certificate that the trailer was 'sanitized'.

In the past I've witnessed the remnants of sizing back hauls, gobs of set up material hanging from the inner top of the barrel, as we cleaned orange juice trailers and have witnessed OJ as a backhaul from Florida after cleaning lube oil.

Food standards have really improved though I still wonder if that sizing is still hanging inside those OJ tanks.....

4. Judge

Judge Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Arkansas
    Kosher.
    Means a rabbi prayed over the Kosher food grade bay once a year, so in theory, the rabbi blessed the food grade products that tank hauls for one year, according to the paper he signs that’s placed in the tank wash.
    But it only lasts a year, and another rabbi comes and closes the bay doors and prays over it.

Geekonthestreet and dwells40 Thank this.
  5. Dave1837

Dave1837 Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2019
    Pennsylvania
    That could very well be true. Where we went they left the dome lid unsealed so we could look inside, then they left a seal with the washout ticket and we sealed it. Maybe that tank wash had issues with what you described in the past

slim shady Thanks this.
  6. Redtwin

Redtwin Road Train Member

Aug 17, 2012
    PBC, FL
    What is "sizing"?. Customers are very particular about what the last 3 loads were regardless of Kosher wash etc. I have had tanks rejected because the customer didn't like a previous dairy load, something about allergies. Another customer was unhappy because he claimed odors from a previous load could taint his olive oil. Still loaded it though.

snowman1980 and Dave1837 Thank this.
  7. wis bang

Jan 12, 2011
    Levittown, PA
    We did tanks of kosher coconut oil rom PVO International in Boonton to Hoffman LaRoche in Nutley.

Each load had a Rabbi from OK labs in Brooklyn come to the wash rack, inspect the papers from last three loads [we discovered that caustic is considered a kosher cleaning agent so that's what trailer we used as we did a lot of it] and he would write on the load sheet in Hebrew and go inspect the tank and loosely seal the dome and outlet with a lead/wire seals.

One didn't like heights so he called the foreman down, quizzed him on how it was cleaned and that it was clean, then he handed the seal and crimp to the foreman saying he was now an 'honorary Jew, please go up and seal the lid."

A second Rabbi was at the loading point and he inspected and sealed the stainless steel pump. I think he was also present when we off loaded.

Flat Earth Trucker Thanks this.
  8. wis bang

Jan 12, 2011
    Levittown, PA
    Rosin sizing, the stuff you use to seal the wall board before applying wall paper.

This was old residue; we were cleaning the orange juice out for whatever they were backhauling home to Florida. I'm guessing they had control in loading the outbound juice; I don't know anyone that would have loaded juice in it otherwise.

Redtwin Thanks this.
  9. leviant0107

leviant0107 Medium Load Member

Oct 24, 2021
    Detroit, MI
    I always thought it was strange that the determination of a trailers cleanliness rating could be validated by a religious figure.

Geekonthestreet Thanks this.
  10. Redtwin

Redtwin Road Train Member

Aug 17, 2012
    PBC, FL
    From the outside looking in, few things are stranger than religious practices and beliefs.

Geekonthestreet and wis bang Thank this.
  11. leviant0107

leviant0107 Medium Load Member

Oct 24, 2021
    Detroit, MI
    Moreso the fact that truck and trailer companies abide by it lol

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.