Why don't truck stops sell wire rope cutters?

Discussion in 'Truck Stops' started by Farmerbob1, Dec 27, 2017.

1. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    The wire rope seals can be easily cut with dykes. I can cut up to 3/8'ths wire rope with just dykes and a hammer.

91B20H8 and tucker Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    How many cuts before it dulls?

4. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    Well it is not good for it but most of the time we used oxy/acetylene to cut the wire ropes unless we were pulling line off the crane to run through a wedge socket then we'd have to use wire rope cutter which looks like a steel block with a striking head and sharp hardened blade and you'd take an 8 pound sledge hammer and beat on it til it cut through the 1 inch wire rope nice and clean.

As far as the 3/8ths stuff, most of the time that wasn't going to be used for anything special so a lot of the time you just hold the wire over the edge of an H beam and beat on it with your hammer to cut through it or like I said use the torch.

rabbiporkchop and Farmerbob1 Thank this.
  5. Tb0n3

Tb0n3 Road Train Member

Oct 5, 2012
    Earth
    rabbiporkchop Thanks this.
  6. A5¢

A5¢ Medium Load Member

Oct 30, 2017
    What diameter of wire rope are you going to cut?

7. Farmerbob1

Farmerbob1 Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2017
    Up to a quarter inch. I have never seen a trailer seal made of wire rope that was thicker. If I find something thicker, I will just use bolt cutters to partially cut it, then use the wire rope cutters to finish the job.

I was a maintenance mechanic at a steel mill for a couple years. I know quality tools and where to get them.

When I buy tools, I want to hold them in my hands first, to make sure they are what I want.

Unfortunately, I can't even find a cheap pair of wire rope cutters anywhere. I can and do use side cutters and bolt cutters for wire rope seals now, but I do like to use the correct tool for the job.

To answer the person asking earlier about what people carry liquid nitrogen in - very well cured wood with a Styrofoam insert works very nicely. Pyrex glass also can work, though you have to be more careful with the glass than the insulated wood.

Needless to say, a lock made of those materials would be less than useful.

8. Tb0n3

Tb0n3 Road Train Member

Oct 5, 2012
    Earth
    It's vacuum insulated dewar flasks as far as I know. Hard to transmit heat through a vacuum.

Farmerbob1 Thanks this.
  9. A5¢

A5¢ Medium Load Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Montgomery Trap and Supply Company has a pair of cutters like I have been using on the trap line for decades. I have made plenty of snares and drowner cables and they cut just as good as day one. They claim to cut up to 3/16", but I think if you nipped at it a couple of times it would work. It's the pair with the bent handles. The nice part is they are made in the USA.

Farmerbob1 Thanks this.
  10. Farmerbob1

Farmerbob1 Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2017
    For long term, low loss storage, yes, vacuum insulated containers are best, but if you are just hauling a half gallon of the stuff out to break some locks, seals, or latch assemblies, a wooden bucket with a round styrofoam insulated fishing bait bucket inside it works just fine. Carrying expensive lab-grade containers out to use them for thievery runs the risk of said rather obvious and uncommon storage containers becoming annoying evidence.

11. lilillill

lilillill Sarcasm... it's not just for breakfast

Nov 7, 2007
    Possum Booger, Alabama
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.