Do you turn off reefer right as you dock ?

Discussion in 'Refrigerated Trucking Forum' started by Greggg, Mar 20, 2019.

1. landlord

landlord Light Load Member

Jan 14, 2012
    chicago il
    I guess I do work for swift. I haul some of their loads and they pay pretty darn good too!! on occasion I do super trucker stuff and get paid while doing it!!!

Attached Files:

Speed_Drums Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Wasted Thyme

Wasted Thyme Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2020
    GOAT watching
    My gawd. Landlord is worried about saving $2.00 vs being liable for a trailer full of OSD pallets. The reefer doesn't burn that much fuel.

It's simple. You were hired to keep the product at a certain temperature till relieved of it. You leave the reefer on.

Tall Mike Thanks this.
  4. magoo68

magoo68 Road Train Member

Jun 11, 2011
    st malo mb canada
    If you understand how a reefer draws it return air like some shippers and receivers do . You would shut it off . Contrary to popular belief a running reefer pulls in outside air with doors open and if that air is hot it heats inside air instead of cooling it as expected .

jason6541 and landlord Thank this.
  5. landlord

Jan 14, 2012
    chicago il
    I noticed im beating a dead horse only trying to help ppl save fuel. i just did the math with my sister and its easily 10k or more im saving a year on reefer fuel ILL TAKE THE SAVINGS lol!!!
    running at full tilt 1gph is huge numbers at the end of the year...

6. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    When they assign you a dock door, line up to back up to it and shut the reefer down while you open your doors. On the way back to get into the seat to back it up, flip the switch to turn the reefer back on. It will take a minute or two to go thru the pretrip and cycle itself back on. By that time you should be docked and will not have lost your temperature.

Running it with the doors open will only raise your temp up that much more quickly. The chute is top dead center of the reefer and cold air sinks. All it will do is pump out all your precool and replace it with warm air. If you are at one of those places that wants you to be at or within 10 degrees of target temp, you may be sitting for a couple extra hours on the dock before they get to you.

Depending on how much time I have before arriving to get loaded, I often would take the temp down to 0 to minus 20 even if it were a 35 plus load. Easier to bring temp back up than it is to bring temp down.

Newer cold sheds have extra wide docks that you would leave your doors closed to dock it. The loaders will open your doors inside the warehouse and close and seal it after they are done loading. This takes the knuckledragging driver out of the equation.

7. Farmerbob1

Farmerbob1 Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2017
    If the doors are open to the open outdoors, yes. If you are backed up against a closed dock door, the reefer still cools.

The reason for this is that reefers with properly working duct chutes push the cooled or heated air to the back of the trailer where it bounces off the back doors. The air is drawn back under the product through the pallets the product sits on, the floor grooving, and between the pallet stacks.

If the door is open, and not backed up against a solid surface, then the chutes push the conditioned air entirely out of the trailer, and draw in mostly ambient air, which will tend to take the product inside towards ambient temperature fairly rapidly.

If the trailer doors are open and you are backed up to a closed dock door, the chute air will bounce off the dock door, and be drawn as normal back under and around the pallets. Some ambient air will get in around the edges, but not enough to significantly change the load temperature unless you are unloading ice cream at a receiver in Death Valley in August.

If the dock doors are open, and the trailer door is open, the risk to the product is based on the ambient temperature in the receiving facility at the dock.

So, in short, everyone is right, if the correct scenario is used as an example.

8. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    Some of you guys are missing the point completely. We all understand that a reefer with open doors warms up quickly, and running the reefer that way is a waste of fuel. Some of us run loads where the reefer is required to remain on during the loading and unloading process. Not our call, it's their call.

And Landlord, it's not what you're trying to say that rubs people the wrong way. It's how you're saying it. Some of us "idiots" as you so eloquently put it have been doing this for decades, own our own equipment, and will gladly pay a few extra bucks for fuel and reefer maintenance to keep our customers happy and do things the way they want it done.

Wasted Thyme and Farmerbob1 Thank this.
  9. Speed_Drums

Speed_Drums Road Train Member

Dec 26, 2014
    Nice rig!

10. landlord

Jan 14, 2012
    chicago il
    yea that was harsh apologies!!
    it was wrong

11. landlord

Jan 14, 2012
    chicago il
    thanks man I appreciate it!! 675 cat pdi haney tune all the goodies!!!
    I see you got the 70" YOU CAN ACUTALLY STRETCH YOUR LEGS lmao

Speed_Drums Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.