Snackbar is chillin'....at Shaffer

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by supersnackbar, Oct 26, 2020.

1. supersnackbar

supersnackbar Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    Was not a good day coming across I-40 yesterday. Coming down the big hill just east of Albuquerque, one of those box trucks with the flat front end hit something, just high enough to bend the windshield pillars almost to the back of the seats (didn't see a sheet covering anything so the driver must have ducked to keep his head on his shoulders), then in AZ between the scale and Holbrook

20210725033229.jpg

20210725033341.jpg

Not sure if the mini-van hit the U-haul and cause it's driver to lose control, or if the U-haul lost control and hit the side of the mini-van on it's path to the frontage road.

Either way, those 2 backups made it a slow day. The day before I ran 671 miles and had 18 drive minutes left. Yesterday I ran 620 miles and had 8 drive minutes left.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2021
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. supersnackbar

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    I also saw where the mud and crud from this monsoon season covered I-40 east of Gallup. The frontage road north of I-40 was covered, and even the shoulder up to the fog line was mud...there was a mega backup east bound right before the Pilot at exit 39. Some drivers correctly chose the south frontage road...some chose the one north if the interstate...and some tried to push thru the mud

20210725100236_1.jpg

Sorry for the fuzzy pic...it's a zoomed in copy of a screenshot from my dashcam. You can see where his/her bumper was plowing, and it was mid-wheel in spots. Bet their boss will be happy when they get the recovery bill for that one. (May be on here looking for a new job because they fired them for getting stuck in the mud and hitting up @Chinatown for recommendations for a new company)

4. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    Curious to how they can try and say one way or the other based on the engine data from the ELD. My truck is more likely to be running when I am off duty inside taking a shower or sitting in the truck talking on the phone before bed. Then I might wake up once or twice and start the truck during the night. My dog is part Husky and I can handle the heat way better than she can. If I’m not in the truck I’ll leave it running for her, if she’s hot in the middle of the night I’ll start it for her and let it run a bit. I don’t see how they could say I was in the sleeper and not off duty because my truck was idling and vice versa.

Jarhed1964 and drvrtech77 Thank this.
  5. brian991219

brian991219 Road Train Member

Aug 10, 2013
    Lords Valley, PA
    It isn't perfect nor is it the only data point they look at, just one of many.

A false log violation related to sleeper berth is most likely to be captured because the driver left the log on sleeper while inside signing bills at a shipper or reciever (has happened many times with my clients) and that BOL is time/date stamped and compared against the log as one of the supporting documents.

Another common way these are discovered are when a driver leaves the log on sleeper berth while on a 34 at their home address, submits hotel reciepts for reimbursement or the truck is in for repairs.

Really doing this in a truck stop on a routine 10 will most likely not be discovered or even questioned unless it looks suspect like 2 minutes off-duty and 9:58 sleeper or absolutely no off-duty at all. The comparison of truck engine start/stop times is just supporting data for other evidence.

Bottom line, when auditing logs the Investigator looks for patterns that are suspect. These are the things that catch their eye, or with modern technology catch the attention of the computer algorithms.

Jarhed1964, ncmickey and Long FLD Thank this.
  6. supersnackbar

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    Got a chance to test the new inverter finally. Nuked a Stauffer's lasagna, 14 minutes total cooking time, and no problems with it staying on afterwards...and no melting wires smell either.

7. JohnBoy

JohnBoy Road Train Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Lake Worth, FL.
    Sounds like my microwave, takes forever to heat up a meal.

Lonesome Thanks this.
  8. supersnackbar

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    That was the recommended time for a 1000 watt, mine is only a 700, so it could have used a little more time. But I was heating up the full family size portion (2 days worth)

JohnBoy Thanks this.
  9. Frank Speak

Frank Speak Road Train Member

May 3, 2016
    Im counting the days! In an effort to accelerate the day, I’ve taken up bass fishing. It looks pretty easy on the YouTube videos! I should be a pro in a few weeks. :)

And, unlike that hack Bill Dance, I haven’t fell into the water with my battery yet! Although I did snag my bait on a tree limb like he did. But, you can bet your arse I didn’t hang around after I got my lure back! Frank ain’t having a snake fall out of the tree on him!

10. Bumper

Bumper Road Train Member

Feb 8, 2008
    Kingsport, Tennessee
    My issues turned out to be with my small fridge. I got a different one and now all is well.

11. Farmerbob1

Farmerbob1 Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2017
    Hey Snackbar, you had issues with your Opti-Idle not working right at Crete, and it wasn't a casual fix if I remember right.

Was it a 2021 Freightliner, and did they eventually find a real problem and fix it?

Dale thompson Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.