Snackbar is chillin'....at Shaffer

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by supersnackbar, Oct 26, 2020.

1. Lonesome

Lonesome Mr. Sarcasm

Dec 15, 2007
    Northern Indiana
    I passed a Cretein on 80/90 Ohio Turnpike today. In the little decal on the side of the truck, where it says Years of Service, this driver had 29. After reading this, I have to ask. Do people actually stay there 29 years? Or did they buy the numbers?

Jarhed1964 and JohnBoy Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. newbietrucker91

newbietrucker91 Road Train Member

Oct 16, 2015
    Texas
    Recent - I made 75k last year.

4. Frank Speak

Frank Speak Road Train Member

May 3, 2016
    I’m inclined to believe it. I’ve actually seen a *few* Werner trucks that have “Million Miler” in gold on the door. Hey, power to ‘em if it works for ‘em.

5. supersnackbar

supersnackbar Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    There are drivers here that long. Talked to one a few weeks back at the shipper for that super secret load I couldn't discuss on here. He has been here 28 years...how, I'll never know. That far back is when Mr. Acklie was running the show, compared now to then and it's a real big change....kinda like going from being a Walmart driver to driving for Swift...and I didn't mean to insult Swift

Jarhed1964, Farmerbob1 and Lonesome Thank this.
  6. supersnackbar

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    That message we got about IT f'g up yet another system update got me...after they said to check your trip numbers on your logs to see if it got screwed up, I did at the shipper and mine was fine...until I did the load call, and it zapped it. They need to just clean house in the IT department. Everything they try to do screws up the system. Or at least by them a 'computer programming of dummies' updated edition.

Farmerbob1, JoeyJunk and Lonesome Thank this.
  7. Farmerbob1

Farmerbob1 Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2017
    They were having a few issues with Peoplegarbage today. It was adding imaginary loads to our load history. They had to work fast to fix/patch that and likely were screwing up everything while trying to fix the Charlie Foxtrot.

8. supersnackbar

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    They were probably trying to fix what they screwed up before when the friggin units started getting so laggy that they add on duty time because it takes so long to go from drive time to off. It's obvious they don't know what the flock they're doing. Rather than continuing to screw them up worse, they should just hire an outside tech from the nearby grade school to show them how to fix it.

Jarhed1964, Lonesome and Farmerbob1 Thank this.
  9. Farmerbob1

Farmerbob1 Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2017
    Heh. I have talked to the two guys that handle most of the Peoplegarbage crap.

They actually want to do some sensible, sane things, but they are limited by Trimble (Peoplenet.)

Personally, I think Crete should hire a Java programmer, and write a complete customer database and communication system app that works on all computers, all operating systems.

Let Peoplenet keep the HOS crap (regulatory issues,) but take everything else away and make it in-house.

A database and forms handling messaging system would not be a challenge to a competent app designer.

If they require verbose commenting and retain uncompiled code, they could modify or hire others to update the app over time.

Java would handle operating system updates due to the nature of the Java virtual machine architecture.

Someone has to be convinced to actually put out some money for a database and communication app that's worth a #### though.

JoeyJunk and Lonesome Thank this.
  10. gentleroger

gentleroger Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2010
    There are plenty of mega guys with multiple decades of tenure. About a third of them are top flight guys that learned how to make the system work for them and make bank while still getting home. The next third are decent drivers just marking time until retirement. They found someplace comfortable and will stay long after they should have moved on. The last third are worthless pieces of crud that make a driver hope Gen Z starts getting CDLS. These "drivers" think they know stuff, but don't and they think they're "making good money", but aren't.

Jarhed1964, JoeyJunk, Lonesome and 3 others Thank this.
  11. newbietrucker91

newbietrucker91 Road Train Member

Oct 16, 2015
    Texas
    Also Snack, I did what you at times want to do. Wanted to take a break from otr and do local so put in for hometime, got home, cleaned truck and deadheaded to Wilmer yard and dropped, never even told operations.

Left right at my 2 year anniversary and when I got my last check I was speechless. I did not think they would cash out my unused vacation days cause I got over $2000 added to the last check as vacation. Thought I simply would lose them so this was a nice surprise.

Only been gone 3 weeks and I'm already missing the otr life. I bring home just $700/wk at this class b driving gig but home everyday and off for 2 full days. Just the whole sleep - eat - work 10.5 hours - shower - eat- sleep - repeat, lifestyle a bit hard to adapt to.

If I still find it hard to deal with, then I plan on going back otr but this time might give Shaffer a call but then again I do hate the smell of them meat plants.

JoeyJunk, Farmerbob1 and Lonesome Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.