This is why Werner continues to have problems, despite putting so much effort into improvement

Discussion in 'Werner' started by Davezilla, Nov 22, 2018.

1. Dna Mach

Dna Mach Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Texas
    They do run decent equipment but Werner drivers are some the angriest people I’ve ever encountered.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    Bottomline, your the driver if your not safe , no matter the reason the truck dosen't move, period. you can get a new job, no sweat.

MartinFromBC Thanks this.
  4. supersnackbar

supersnackbar Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    Small company, o.k., except the health insurance tends to be a lot more expensive. As for the home every night...no thank you...I would be more stressed out than a cat with a 2 foot tail in a rocking chair manufacturing plant.

laaylor and bryan21384 Thank this.
  5. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    That's not always a solution nor is it the right solution for everyone.

Coover Thanks this.
  6. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    There is a way.

Quit for cause, document name names, pros, cons and results of discussions etc. Including punishments exacted against you etc. Turn that into the State let them sort it. If it is indeed for cause you get unemployment. If not? you have a chance to rest up and go see another hire.

One of my very favorite ways to evaluate a company is to sit either in the truckstop and listen (Not talk) listen the specific drivers near the phone rooms. Or sit in their drivers room at a company. Then go up to listen in on dispatch.

You can get a feel of how the company is doing today by the amount of profanity (If any) backed by emotion if any. If it is in order, the dispatch hardly has anything to do but keep track of the dots and wait by the messages. Those are the ones you want to work for.

A total company clean out of people top to bottom to remove the focus on performance goals is a very difficult thing to do. You cannot do it. UNLESS... you put together say a billion dollars and did a hostile take over. =) Then you can start cleaning the outfit top to bottom.

7. Davezilla

Davezilla Medium Load Member

May 19, 2009
    Yep, because trying to talk to their dispatchers is like talking to a brick wall. Literally nothing is taken into account except whether or not the load is moving.

It is near impossible to get them to deal with an issue without five arguments and involving driver relations or writing to the CEO.

I've never met a group of people as stubborn as Werner dispatch. Didn't even know people that stubborn even existed.

That's not an exaggeration. I have not once ever experienced them willingly solve a problem without having to get upper management involved.

8. SteerTire

SteerTire Road Train Member

Nov 5, 2018
    Behind the wheel
    They do, and they work for our IT department.

I generally try to be sympathetic to them. But I finally had enough after telling one guy exactly what needed to be done to fix the issue. And the ####### asked me if I had tried rebooting.

9. Davezilla

May 19, 2009
    Now imagine doing that 5 times in a row and then having to call upper management to get them to do what is required.

Then dispatch responds like you are the problem instead of admitting that they are out of line, and proceeds to harass you with massive passive aggressive harassment for the next month.

Ever have IT intentionally and repeatedly screw up everything on the system because you asked them to do their job?

That's what dealing with Werner dispatch is like.

dog-c and SteerTire Thank this.
  10. Davezilla

May 19, 2009
    For an example, I was given a Hazmat load in a trailer that was a fire hazard with bad wheel seals and oil and grease everywhere.

The repairs were almost childish looking, so I rejected the load after three days of waiting for them to either redo the repairs or reload it into one of the 30+ Werner trailers at that customer.

As punishment I was given about 100 miles a day and all live loads and unloads for the next month, grossing about 700 dollars for the MONTH. Not a week, but month. Some loads were like 5 days for 250 miles. It was insane.

They really are so obsessive that it makes them dysfunctional, and they will rage punish drivers in retaliation regardless of how clearly correct the driver is.

11. SteerTire

SteerTire Road Train Member

Nov 5, 2018
    Behind the wheel
    For the past 3 months
    Above him lol

Not any more ;) But yes, I was targeted. So I went to the top, with a long line of people behind me. Not just drivers.
    Safety
    Shop manager
    Other drivers
    And a terminal manager

That’s why it’s important to document everything. Pictures, audio, video, everything you can.

Yeah, I get you. And as I said earlier. I have a friend there, that will probably retire from there. He’s not the sharpest tack in the box, but he’s happy. I couldn’t talk him into leaving if I tried.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.